Brion is a member of the Litigation and Trial Practice Team. He is experienced in commercial and environmental litigation in both state and federal courts. Brion has represented clients in a wide range of commercial and tort cases including class action defense, products liability defense, personal injury defense, commercial contract disputes, covenants not to compete, embezzlement and bank fraud actions, minority shareholder disputes, and collection and creditors’ rights litigation. He has handled all forms of alternative dispute resolution, including facilitative mediation, arbitration and case evaluation under the Michigan Court Rules.
Brion is also a member of Varnum’s E-Discovery Task Force, where he advises clients on matters relating to the preservation and production of electronically-stored information, as well as best practices for companies in retaining data.
For more information, please contact Brion Doyle at 616/336-6479 or email@example.com
Global Property Services, Inc v Kmart Corp (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Honorable Susan Pierson Sonderby). Represented plaintiff in breach of contract claim.
J.L. French Automotive Castings, Inc v Magna Powertrain USA, Inc (arbitrated by James Martin by agreement of parties). Represented seller in breach of contract claim tried to arbitrator.
Armstrong International v Rexnord (arbitration). Represented Armstrong in Chicago arbitration involving UCC contract dispute including Armstrong's claim for payment of $1.5 million in parts and defense of Rexnard's contract damage claim for $2 million.
Edward M. Walder, et al v Independent Bank Corporation, et al (Cook County, Illinois, County Department Case No. 05-L-003318); Independent Bank Corporation, et al v Edward M. Walder, et al (State of Michigan, Judicial Circuit Case No. 05-M-24114-CZ). Represented bank in related cases in Illinois and Michigan involving multimillion dollar claims by the bank for indemnification for accounting improprieties against sellers of premium finance company. Defended suit brought by sellers of company alleging millions of dollars in damages for failure to pay earnout and alleged improper application of GAAP. Settlement of both cases resulted in client receiving millions in damages.
Stillwater, Inc., et al v Edward W. Bredemeier Jr., et al and Edward W. Bredemeier Jr., et al v Stillwater, Inc. (State of Michigan, Judicial Circuit Case No. 04-50650-CK). Represented sellers of company defending against claims of indemnification based upon alleged breaches of representations and warranties.
Honors & Recognitions
Grand Rapids Magazine's Top Lawyers, Litigation - Commercial, 2020
Access to Justice for All, pro bono
Grand Rapids Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan: Agricultural Law Section, Council
Northeastern Little League, coach
NorthPointe Christian Schools, Board of Education
Other Way Ministries, Board
News & Publications
- December 9, 2020
- Grand Rapids Legal News, June 12, 2019
- March 7, 2016
- February 1, 2016
- January 14, 2016
- December 15, 2014
- January 27, 2009
"Taming the Beast: How to Manage Outside Counsel," ARMA. San Francisco, CA, November 2010
- Facebook, Inc. v. Duguid Limits the Definition of “Autodialer” Under the Telephone Consumer Protection ActBusiness Law Advisory , April 8, 2021
- Agriculture Advisory, May 19, 2020
- Agriculture Advisory, March 31, 2020
- Coronavirus and Global Supply: Contractual Protections Can Be a Remedy to the Symptoms from Unhealthy Supply ChainsBusiness Law Advisory, February 20, 2020
- Monsanto Ordered to Pay Millions to Cancer Victims; Michigan Residents Join Growing List of PlaintiffsAgriculture Advisory, April 18, 2019
- Agriculture Blog Post, February 22, 2017
- Michigan Farm News, June 2, 2016
- Agriculture Blog Post, December 25, 2015
- Michigan Farm News, November 30, 2015
- Agriculture Blog Post, October 5, 2015
- Agriculture Blog Post, September 22, 2015
- Agriculture Blog Post, August 8, 2014
- Banking and Finance Advisory, March 7, 2013
- Business Law Advisory, October 11, 2011
Wayne State University Law School
J.D., magna cum laude, 2004
Order of the Coif
Wayne State Law Review, Note & Comment Editor
Lederle Scholar, Dean’s Scholar
B.A., Economics & Management, 2000
Albion College Judicial Board
- All Michigan state courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan