Our clients count on us to provide ongoing counsel on matters from governance and corporate responsibility to the review and amendment of articles of incorporation and bylaws. From clubs and charities to foundations and civic institutions, we work with a wide range of exempt organizations.
Our attorneys work with the Michigan Nonprofit Corporation Act and provide assistance interpreting requirements for corporate action, including resolutions and voting questions, helping clients prepare for board meetings and helping ensure compliance with organizational documents. We provide advice and assistance with state licensing and reporting requirements for charities as well as with soliciting funds in Michigan. We also advise clients on the impact of joint ventures on tax-exempt status and the penalties associated with excess benefit transactions.
Representative services include:
- Nonprofit Articles of Incorporation
- Corporate Bylaws
- Actions by Incorporator(s)
- Written Consents of Directors
- Charitable Trust/Charitable Solicitation Questionnaire
- Charitable Trust Registration
- Charitable Trust Inventory
- Application for License to Solicit Charitable Donations
- Michigan Application for Registration (if necessary)
- Application for Recognition of Tax Exemption, including IRS Forms 1023, 872-C, 2848 and 8718
- Application for Employer Identification Number (IRS Form SS-4)