Peter G. Roth Partner
Pete’s experience is in transactional work, with a heavy focus on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, angel and venture capital, finance, and joint venture transactions. He provides counseling with respect to day-to-day business issues of all types, including commercial transactions, corporate structuring and succession planning. Pete is also experienced in real estate transactions and tax planning matters, including extensive work in connection with 1031 exchange transactions.
Additionally, Pete has significant experience in laws unique to cooperatives, including the Capper-Volstead Act, laws governing patronage, and relevant tax laws and regulations. He represents agricultural cooperatives as general counsel as well as for specific matters including formation/organization, governance matters, mergers and acquisitions, and collection matters.
His recent significant representations include:
Merger and Acquisition Transactions:
- Merger transaction involving the sale of an automotive supplier to a private equity fund and also involving an equity rollover by management ($415 million)
- Sale of stock of automotive supplier ($385 million)
- Sale of certain assets of a food processing company ($300 million)
Representation of Cooperatives:
- Numerous merger and acquisition transactions involving cooperatives
- General representation of boards of directors and corporate governance issues
- Contract matters of all types
University of Michigan Law School
Ann Arbor, Michigan
J.D., magna cum laude, 1999
Order of the Coif
Grand Rapids, Michigan
B.A., Political Science, 1996
Recognition & Rankings
- Listed in Michigan Rising Stars by Super Lawyers, 2011
- State Bar of Michigan (Business Law Section, Tax Law Section)
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Volunteers in Service (Board of Directors, 2009 - present)
- Grand Rapids Economics Club (2009 – present)
- Associate for Corporate Growth (2007 – present)
- Seymour Christian Reformed Church (Deacon , 2004 – 2007)
- Grand Rapids Jaycees (Board of Directors, 2001 – 2002)
Publications & Presentations
- Selling your Business 'Someday'? Five Things to Consider Now, Grand Rapids Business Journal, January 22, 2013.
- Examining the Importance of Independent Directors, Grand Rapids Business Journal, July 12, 2010.
- Panelist, M & A Roundtable, Grand Rapids, MI, May 16, 2013.
- Moderator, Transitions in Family Owned Business, West Michigan Family Business Alliance, May 14, 2013.
- Presenter, Michigan Executive Cooperative Conference, West Michigan Family Business Alliance, January 29-30, 2013.
- Panelist, M & A Roundtable, Birmingham, MI, November 29, 2012.