Mark is a member of the firm's Litigation and Trial Practice Team as well as the Family Law Team, with more than 20 years if experience in federal and state court jury and non-jury trials, international, federal and state-level arbitrations, and facilitative mediations. Mark was invited to join the Litigation Counsel of America Society in 2011, an honor extended to less than one percent of all attorneys in America.
Mark is a knowledgeable and effective trial attorney for national, state and community banks, private equity holders and receivers throughout Michigan, and has successfully enforced loan portfolios valued over $100 million in commercial disputes, breach of contract actions, note defaults, guaranty defaults, UCC disputes and loan documentation and workouts.
Property owner associations, banks, title companies, real estate brokers, and individual property owners rely on Mark to determine and protect their interests in ownership, title easement, boundary, and riparian rights disputes. His experience ensures that the contractual rights of project owners, contractors and subcontractors are protected in payment and design/construction disputes.
Mark has an extensive background in vigorously advocating for his clients' interests in divorce, post-judgment custody and parenting time modifications, judgment enforcement, and grandparenting time disputes. He also has significant experience in high net worth divorce cases.
For more information, please contact Mark Hills at 616/846-0687 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Muskegon County custody case, 2019; obtained sole legal and physical custody for father in matter involving alcoholic mother.
City of Muskegon Heights v. City of Norton Shores, et. al. (Muskegon County Circuit Court, 2018); represented plaintiff municipality in recovery of $8.4 million in wrongfully withheld termination payments arising from municipal water supply contract. Prepared and successfully presented motions for summary disposition leading to settlement through facilitative mediation.
Kalamazoo County custody case, 2018; obtained sole legal custody for mother in matter involving psychologically and mentally manipulative father.
Visser Brothers v. Pranam, Inc. (Kent County Circuit Court, 2018); represented plaintiff general contractor in lien foreclosure action arising from hotel renovation. Matter successfully settled after mediation.
Kent County divorce, 2018; successfully resolved matter involving $9 million estate.
Emmett County divorce and custody case, 2018; successfully resolved matter involving $6 million estate for wife of retired NFL player.
Little River Band of Ottawa Indians v. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 2017); represented plaintiff Native American tribe in ERISA-based fraud claims. Successfully resolved matter after mediation.
Ottawa County custody case, 2017; obtained sole legal and physical custody for father in matter involving mentally ill mother. Defeated repeated attempts by mother to regain parenting time.
Mills v. Canales (Kent County Circuit Court, 2017); represented plaintiff homeowner in prosecution of construction defects claims against residential builder. Matter successfully resolved after mediation.
Ottawa County divorce case, 2017; successfully defeated prenuptial agreement for wife. Matter successfully resolved after mediation.
Harbor View Condominium v. Harbor View Condominiums, LLC (Oceana County Circuit Court, 2016); represented defendant condominium developer in construction defect case. Matter successfully resolved after mediation.
Ottawa County divorce case on appeal (Michigan Court of Appeals, 2016); successfully appealed trial court's determination of spousal support and obtain increased spousal support award in client's favor on remand to trial court.
DeLooff v. Recreational Development, LLC (Ottawa County Circuit Court, 2015); represented defendant condominium developer in condominium governance suit by unit owner. Successfully resolved matter after nominal case evaluation award to the plaintiff
Evergreen Nutrients, LLC v. PulverDryer, Inc. (Calhoun County Circuit Court, 2015); represented plaintiff in contract dispute regarding sale of industrial equipment. Obtained $450,000 judgment in client's favor after mediation.
Independent Bank v. Mid-Michigan Tutoring, LLC, et. al. (Kent County Circuit Court, 2015); represented plaintiff in note default case. Obtained $170,000 judgment after summary disposition.
Ottawa County divorce and custody case, 2014; obtained primary physical custody and successful property division and spousal support award for client after trial, in $6 million estate. Successfully defended against father's post-judgment claims of alienation, including father's request to send child to deprogramming camp.
Ottawa County divorce case, 2014; represented wife/mother in divorce case involving $5 million marital estate. Case successfully settled after mediation.
Messer v. Santana Energy Services (Livingston County Circuit Court, 2014); represented natural gas supplier in contract dispute with homeowner. Successfully resolved matter after settlement conference with court.
CB 2010, LLC v. Lindar, LLC (Jackson County Circuit Court, 2013); represented mortgagee in successful prosecution of mortgage default. Successfully resolved matter through entry of consent judgment and appointment of receiver.
David Hunting YMCA v. Visser Brothers, Inc. (American Arbitration Association, 2013); represented general contractor in successful resolution of construction defect claims.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2020
Litigation Counsel of America, fellow
Martindale-Hubbell® Distinguished™ Peer Review Rated
Grand Rapids Bar Association: Litigation Section; Real Property Section; Jury Representation Committee
Ottawa County Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan: Litigation Section; Real Property Section; Family Law Section; American Indian Law Section
Wisconsin Bar Association, Litigation Section
City of Grand Haven, Michigan: Construction Board of Appeals, 2004 - 2009; Planning Commission, 2010 - present
Grand Rapids Junior Chamber of Commerce Foundation, legal counsel, 2005 - 2007
Lakeshore Ethnic Diversity Alliance, Summer Migrant Reading Program, 2012 - present
Michigan Junior Chamber of Commerce, legal counsel, 1996 - 1998
Rotary Club of Grand Haven, Board of Directors, 2011 - present
Tri-Cities Habitat for Humanity, Construction Committee, 2006 - 2007
News & Publications
- August 15, 2019
- May 12, 2016
- January 8, 2014
- September 18, 2012
- December 15, 2011
Presenter, "The Legal Landscape: Construction Law Issues," American Institute of Constructors, Michigan Chapter, April 2004
- American Indian Advisory, August 28, 2019
- American Indian Law Advisory, August 12, 2019
- American Indian Law Blog Post, March 1, 2019
- American Indian Law Advisory, October 29, 2018
- American Indian Law Advisory, March 9, 2018
- American Indian Law Advisory, November 30, 2017
- American Indian Law Blog Post, June 14, 2016
- Same-Sex Marriage and the Expanded Equitable Parent DoctrineMichigan Family Law Journal, Volume 46, Number 4, May 12, 2016
- American Indian Law Blog Post, January 22, 2016
- Family Law Blog Post, December 1, 2015
- Michigan Court of Appeals Reverses Adoption of Indian Child; Cites Michigan Adoptive Placement Preference StandardsAmerican Indian Law Blog Post, March 20, 2015
- Family Law Blog Post, March 18, 2015
- Michigan Court of Appeals Reverses Termination of Parental Rights; Cites Indian Child Welfare Act StandardAmerican Indian Law Blog Post, December 8, 2014
- May 30, 2012
- February 27, 2012
- Real Estate Blog Post, October 15, 2010
- Securing Payment for Your Work Through Construction LiensThe Michigan Landscape, August 2008
- Protecting a Mortgage’s Priority Over Construction Liens in MichiganConstruction Lending News, Fourth Quarter 2005
- Public Access to Government: Compliance with the Open Meetings Act and the Freedom of Information ActPipeline, Fall 1994
State Certified Civil Mediator
- Family Law
- Business Owners: Valuations
- Custody, Parenting Time and Child Support
- Family Law Mediators and Arbitrators
- Fraud/Hidden Assets
- Litigation Services
- Mental Health and Family Law
- Post-Judgment Matters
- Pre- and Post-Nuptial Agreements
- Property Division
- Spousal Support
- American Indian Law
- Banking and Finance
- Creditors' Rights
- Litigation and Trial
- Real Estate Litigation
- Riparian Rights
- Uniform Commercial Code
University of Toledo College of Law
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan
B.A., Political Science, 1989
- All Michigan state courts
- All Wisconsin state courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States Supreme Court