Michigan Lawyers Weekly Names Murphy to Leaders in the Law Class of 2019
Michigan Lawyers Weekly has announced that Lawrence J. Murphy has been named to “Leaders in the Law” Class of 2019.
According to Michigan Lawyers Weekly, “Leaders in the Law have made outstanding contributions to the practice of law in Michigan and set an example for other lawyers. They have demonstrated tremendous leadership and offer a wealth of expertise in many areas of the law.”
A luncheon celebrating the Class of 2019 will be held April 18 at the Detroit Marriott Troy. The “Lawyer of the Year,” selected by a vote of the class, will be announced at the event. In addition, the honorees will be profiled in a special section appearing in the April 22 issue of MLW.
With over 35 years of experience, Murphy has earned the respect and admiration of his partners and clients. While he represents clients in a wide variety of labor and employment matters, he has a particular focus on employment litigation, serving as principal attorney in over 20 jury trials as well as numerous bench and administrative proceedings. He has an extensive record of summary judgment dismissals on behalf of his clients. Beyond these results, his commitment to excellence is exemplified by numerous accolades and recognitions over the years, including:
- American College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, fellow
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2005
- Named a Leader in the Field of Labor and Employment by Chambers USA© since 2005
- Named a Top Lawyer by DBusiness© Magazine, 2017
- Named in Leading Lawyers, ADR Law - Employment; Employment Law - Management
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (highest possible rating)
- Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers® since 2006
- Named a Top Rated Lawyer in Labor and Employment, 2013
Murphy has served in numerous leadership positions, including leading his firm as managing partner from 2008 to 2012. Prior to serving in that role, Murphy had served as one of six members of the firm’s Policy Committee for seven years. Following his service as managing partner, Murphy continued to lead the firm’s business development, client service and community partnerships efforts. He currently serves on the firm’s Marketing Advisory Committee and Diversity Committee. He is also one of three practice management leaders, serving as a mentor and advisor to attorneys in the firm.
Commitment to Legal Community and Community at Large
Murphy has served the legal community as a frequent presenter on labor and employment topics. In addition to scores of presentations to employer clients, he has presented to state and local bar sections, including the Labor and Employment Section of the State Bar of Michigan and at the American Employment Law Council. For more than 10 years, he gave presentations around the country on the topic of Jury Trial Litigation of Employment Claims.
Within the broader legal community, Murphy was part of the Managing Partner Diversity Collaborative, a five-year initiative among the major law firms in West Michigan and the Grand Rapids Bar Association to increase the numbers of people of color in the legal profession. He continues to be strongly focused on diversity initiatives both within the firm and as a member of the leadership council of Talent 2025, a West Michigan employer initiative working to ensure an ongoing supply of world class talent for the area.
Murphy currently serves on the following community and nonprofit boards:
- Talent 2025, CEO Council member and co-chair of the Workforce Diversity and Inclusion Working Group
- Degage Ministries (nonprofit providing services to the homeless and disadvantaged), Board of Directors
- Grand Rapids Community College Foundation Board, chair
His other recent community involvement includes service to the following:
- The Right Place, Board of Directors (leading West Michigan economic development organization)
- Grand Rapids Symphony, Board of Directors
- Ehlers Transit Partnership – The Rapid, Board of Directors (public transit system providing bus service throughout the Grand Rapids metropolitan area)
- West Michigan Policy Forum – Steering Committee (public policy organization focused on creating a competitive economic environment)
In summary, Murphy has had and continues to have a stellar legal practice. He has shown his dedication to the improvement of the legal profession through his mentoring, teaching and advocacy activities. He has been a leader at the highest level both within his firm and in the professional and nonprofit organizations in which he actively works to improve the legal community and the community at large.
The complete roster of Leaders in the Law Class of 2019 can be found on the Michigan Lawyers Weekly website.