Chambers USA 2018 Recognizes Varnum Attorneys, Practice Teams
Varnum is once again one of the few Michigan law firms to be ranked in the latest edition of Chambers USA, which ranks lawyers and law firms based on client and peer research.
Chambers guides are the culmination of thousands of in-depth interviews by the largest research team of its kind and are trusted globally to objectively rank the world’s best lawyers and law firms. Chambers published the following about Varnum in the 2018 edition:
Banking and Finance
“Strong team in the Michigan market advising on loan origination and acquisition financing mandates. Acts on behalf of an array of banks and other financial institutions. Also assists with restructuring and workout matters, and offers expertise in governance and regulatory affairs.” Interviewees praise the "hard-working" lawyers for their "timely turnaround of work and strategic thinking."
“Broad offering with experience advising on M&A transactions, securities, venture capital financing and a range of general corporate matters. Possesses complementary expertise in antitrust, tax and immigration. Also offers specialist private equity transactional advice.” Clients note that the lawyers are "very personable, knowledgeable and easy to work with," adding: "They have a great amount of resources and are very quick to respond as required." Sources also value the team's "timely turnaround of work and strategic thinking."
Labor and Employment
“Grand Rapids-headquartered firm noted for its high-quality labor and employment offering and complementary expertise in immigration law. Routinely advises large human resources departments on workforce reduction strategies, contract issues and labor relations. Especially well known for its active and successful arbitration practice.”
“Compact real estate group based in Grand Rapids, with a strong transactional focus and significant experience in finance-related matters. Adept at advising clients in high-value commercial, industrial and residential development work. Regularly acts alongside other departments in the firm on significant, multistranded real estate matters. Clients include banks, hospitals, developers, brokers and individual investors.” Sources say: "They are professional, totally on top of their transactions, prepared, efficient, diligent and proactive, but don't over-lawyer things." Sources also say: "They have excellent employees and talent at their firm, and care about meeting and exceeding client needs."
In addition to ranking practice groups, Chambers recognized several attorneys as notable practitioners:
- Jon Anderson was named a recognized practitioner in Real Estate.
- “Nyal Deems’ practice focuses on conveyance and lease transactions, land use approvals, construction and permanent lending. He regularly works with lenders, borrowers and REITs.”
- Jeff DeVree was named a recognized practitioner in Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation, a practice area for which Varnum was also recognized.
- Tom Forster was named a recognized practitioner in Real Estate.
- “Richard Hooker has strong capabilities in employment litigation and traditional labor relations. He often works with clients from the automotive sector.”
- “David Khorey advises on matters such as collective bargaining negotiations. He works with clients from a diverse range of industries including automotive, printing, transportation and healthcare.”
- “Lawrence Murphy defends organizations and individuals against discrimination and harassment complaints, among other matters. He also handles a range of non-contentious matters.”