Varnum partner Peter Schmidt has been named one of Michigan’s Go To Lawyers for Commercial Real Estate by Michigan Lawyers Weekly. He was one of only 20 attorneys named to the list, which recognizes top lawyers from around the state.
Schmidt, who leads Varnum’s Real Estate Practice Team, was recognized for his record of success in a wide range of complex commercial real estate, construction and property development transactions. He also works on real estate financing matters, including securitized loans and sale/leaseback transactions.
Among Schmidt’s unique real estate experience is his work with developers of sustainable energy projects. He has worked on more than 40 solar projects and numerous wind projects in Michigan, including a large wind energy project involving more than 500 parcels of real estate.
Schmidt also represents property owners across the country regarding cell tower leases, including the sale of cell leases and future leasing rights.
Schmidt is a fellow of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys, the preeminent national organization of real estate finance lawyers who are experts in mortgage law. He is a member of the Building Owners and Managers Association and the International Council of Shopping Centers.
He has been named a Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyer in Real Estate Law for the past five years and was recognized by Michigan Super Lawyers as a Rising Star.
Schmidt is a cum laude graduate of the University of Wisconsin Law School and received his undergraduate degree from Albion College.
The “Go To” Lawyers program is a relatively new recognition by Michigan Lawyers Weekly, intended to bring awareness to practitioners within a particular area of law. “Go To” lawyers are described by Michigan Lawyers Weekly as follows:
- A lawyer who is an expert in his or her field, well-versed in the nuances of the case law, statutes and regulations clients will encounter.
- A lawyer who is experienced and enjoys a record of success, with many cases and/or transactions that give testimony to the quality advice he or she can provide.
- A lawyer to whom other lawyers make referrals because of his or her expertise and accomplishments.
- A lawyer who can think creatively and identify all options for a client.
- A lawyer you would name when a friend from another state calls and says she has a client who needs some legal help in a given part of our state.
- A lawyer you might call yourself if you needed legal help in his or her field.
Schmidt and other Go To Lawyers for Commercial Real Estate honorees will be profiled in a special section in the July 31st print and digital issues of Michigan Lawyers Weekly. More about the recognition can be found here.