Varnum helps clients understand and operate successfully in the changing landscape of international, federal, state and local environmental requirements. We have developed deep experience in representing clients in judicial and administrative environmental enforcement proceedings at the federal, state, and local levels - including Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). Our focus on regulatory compliance and problem avoidance emphasizes early planning and preventative action. This proactive approach to complex regulatory schemes includes:
- Educating clients on the scope and consequences of environmental regulations,
- Counseling clients on minimizing environmental liabilities in commercial and real estate transactions, and
- Advising clients on the environmental impacts of their current and future operations.
Our environmental experience includes:
- Air Quality (including mold and asbestos)
- Land Use Permitting, Due Diligence and Real Estate Development
- Regulatory Compliance (including audits and ISO 14001)
- Waste Management (including generators and landfill operators)
- Water Law (including NPDES permitting, stormwater and groundwater)
- Environmental Litigation (including toxic torts) and Administrative Enforcement
As a Varnum client, you have access to attorneys with engineering, technical and science backgrounds - as well as Varnum's extensive network of engineering and science consultants - for timely advice within environmental technical disciplines and for expert witness testimony. In addition, clients are able to draw upon Varnum's full-service legal offerings in related areas, such as real estate, OSHA, energy, oil & gas, insurance coverage, criminal defense, and bankruptcy law.
With one of the largest environmental law practices in the Great Lakes Region, Varnum's Environmental Law Group provides unprecedented value by assisting clients in effectively planning for and responding to all types of environmental challenges and situations.