Luis E. Avila Associate
Luis focuses his practice on immigration and employment issues. His immigration experience includes employment and family-based nonimmigrant and immigrant petitions, Form I-9 compliance, visa processing, waivers, and citizenship matters. Luis has a wide range of employment law experience including employment litigation defense and traditional labor issues. He is fluent in Spanish and English.
Luis’ experience spans the United States, Mexico and Europe. With a background in international business law and finance, Luis worked for a large international corporate law firm in Mexico City where he worked on foreign direct investment matters.
During his legal studies he worked at the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Switzerland. He has also worked for the Centre for Advice on Individual Rights in Europe, The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan, and the Florence Immigration and Refugee Rights Project in Arizona.
- Bar Admissions: State of Michigan; United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- Committees - International Human Rights Committee of the State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section, International Law Section of SBM (Member)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (Member)
- Grand Rapids Bar Association (Member)
University of Michigan Law School
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan
B.A. with Honors, Business, 2005
Publications & Presentations
- Contributor, Employment Law in Michigan: An Employer's Guide. 2013 Update.
- Co-Presenter, "What's New for Unionized Employers," Varnum's Labor & Employment Seminar, March 2013.
- Luis E. Avila, "Is Spanish one of your languages? As work force evolves, it should be," Michigan Lawyers Weekly, March 26, 2012
- Luis E. Avila, "What to Consider When Seeking Legal Services in Spanish," Grand Rapids Business Journal, March 9, 2012
- Presenter, "So, You Want to be a Lawyer?" Latino Youth Conference at Grand Rapids Community College, March 2012
- Presenter, "How Spanish and Faith Can Help Your Career Path," South Christian High School, March 2012
- Co-presenter, "Keeping a Healthy Workforce" and "Effective Discipline and Discharge," Varnum's Labor & Employment Seminar, January 2012
- Co-presenter, "Immigration Law: The Future for Michigan," Calvin College Un-Learn Series, October 2011
- Luis E. Avila, "The Universal Periodic Review: A Brief Analysis as Seen Through the Recent Review of the United States," Michigan International Lawyer, June 2011
- Board Member, Wedgwood Christian Services (2013)
- Advisory Committee, International Transactions Clinic of the University of Michigan Law School
- Program Related Investments Committee, Grand Rapids Community Foundation
- Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce, Non-Profit Board Certification (2012)
- Member, West Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Graduate, Emerging Leaders Series, Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Asociación de Profesionistas Mexicanos en Michigan