Charyn K. Hain Partner
Litigation and Trial Experience
Charyn is a partner in the litigation and trial services practice group. Prior to joining Varnum, Charyn was a partner with Lague, Newman & Irish, P.C. She also worked as an associate with a large Lansing firm and as an Assistant General Counsel for Michigan State University. Her practice includes commercial and healthcare litigation, contract disputes, business torts, higher education law, and appellate issues. Charyn has represented a variety of public and private sector clients in commercial, contractual, healthcare, and general liability matters in federal and state courts.
- Successfully represented a large, international company in Texas State Court in a multi-million dollar matter relating to the alleged use of proprietary information. After limiting Plaintiff's claims through motion practice, the matter settled for less than 5% of Plaintiff's original demand.
- Represented a Fortune 500 Tier II automotive manufacturer in AAA proceedings relating to alleged breaches of a purchase agreement after the sale of one of its subsidiaries. The matter was settled favorably to the client after the first day of the hearing.
- Obtained summary judgment in the United States District Court for Massachusetts in favor of a large firm client in a lawsuit alleging breach of contract and tortious interference relating to the client's purchase of the assets of another entity.
- Defended franchisors in AAA proceedings and a related lawsuit filed in the Kent County Circuit Court in connection with the alleged breach of a franchise agreement. The arbitrator issued a no cause of action award in favor of the clients and the trial court dismissed all of Plaintiff's claims on summary disposition motions. The Plaintiff appealed the trial court's decision, and I successfully defended the trial court's rulings on appeal.
- Obtained a favorable jury verdict in the Muskegon County Circuit Court on behalf of clients accused of tortiously interfering with a business expectancy relating to the purchase of a business.
- Obtained jury verdicts in state court in favor of various defendants in medical malpractice and auto accident lawsuits.
- Argued and won numerous cases in the Michigan Court of Appeals on matters ranging from personal injury to breach of fiduciary duty to post-judgment divorce issues.
- Michigan Council of School Attorneys - Board of Directors
- American Health Lawyers Association
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- National and Michigan Associations of School Boards
- State Bar of Michigan
- Federal Bar Association
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Michigan State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern Michigan
- United States District Courts for the Western Michigan
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (trial bar)
University of Michigan Law School
Ann Arbor, Michigan
B.A., cum laude, English, 1989
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating, BV® Distinguished™