Charyn K. Hain Partner
Charyn is a member of the trial and litigation group. A significant part of her practice focuses on probate litigation, including will contests, guardianship/conservatorship matters, mental health proceedings and disputes involving trust agreements. With a background in commercial litigation, Charyn is an effective advocate for her probate clients. She has extensive experience representing and advising personal representatives, trustees and beneficiaries in all forms of probate matters. Charyn strives to balance strong advocacy for her clients with an understanding of the many complicating and often emotional issues involved in disputes among family members.
In addition to her probate litigation practice, Charyn specializes in physician licensing, credentialing, privileging and employment matters. Charyn spent much of her early career defending physicians in medical malpractice matters and, in doing so, developed an appreciation for the myriad of legal issues that may impact health care providers. Charyn has significant experience assisting medical care providers in all aspects of medical staff issues, due process hearings, investigations and complaints initiated by state licensing agencies, and the many serious consequences that may arise as a result of such actions against a medical care provider's license, staff privileges or approved provider status.
Charyn also continues to focus on her representation of school districts and institutes of higher education. As a prior associate general counsel at a Big Ten university and counsel for a multistate K-12 policy company, Charyn has developed insight and experience not only in legal aspects of education, but also the practical aspects and the needs of her clients. She has significant experience preparing school policies, representing school boards, providing counsel on student affairs, school discipline matters, representing districts and higher education clients in Title IX and other matters investigated by the Office of Civil Rights, and campus safety and health issues.
University of Michigan Law School
Ann Arbor, Michigan
B.A., cum laude, English, 1989
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Michigan Council of School Attorneys, Board of Directors
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- National and Michigan Associations of School Boards
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan state courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western Michigan
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (trial bar)
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell® Distinguished® Peer Review Rated