Tax AttorneyEric is a partner and leads the firm's Tax Planning, Compliance and Litigation Practice Team. He has extensive experience in tax law with a focus on all aspects of related civil and criminal law, as well as complex financial investigative and litigation matters.
Through a collaborative and proactive process he has achieved exceptional results, including multiple discontinued or "dropped" investigations, litigation victories and, where appropriate, effective sentencing advocacy resulting in multiple occasions of greatly reduced sentences or no jail time for his clients.
The ability to organize and plan a highly technical or complex defense to an investigation also enables Eric to conduct proactive fraud investigations on behalf of clients that suspect embezzlement or theft by employees or contractors.
Eric represents businesses, individuals and other entities such as trusts and estates in the defense of IRS, FBI, Homeland Security, state police and other law-enforcement agency investigations. He has significant experience in counseling and representing witnesses, victims and targets of an investigation, and his counsel is widely sought by other lawyers, accountants and financial advisors.
A long-time leader in the tax and financial field, Eric has led or assisted in matters for clients on five continents and over most of the United States. He routinely provides legal advice and counsel to clients regarding the tax implications of assets held outside of the United States.
Eric's clients benefit from his prior experience representing the government in IRS audits, investigations, negotiations and litigation. He started his career as a senior trial lawyer for IRS Chief Counsel (Honors Program) and as a Special Assistant United States Attorney. He also proudly served in the U.S. Army as a Judge Advocate. During his tenure with the government, Eric litigated complex matters and provided legal support, guidance and strategy for a multitude of criminal investigations and civil tax examinations. His service was recognized with multiple performance awards.
Eric stays on top of legal developments as a regular visiting professor and lecturer. He also authors several articles per year, is a regular speaker to professional groups and has received a multitude of peer recognition awards.
For more information, please contact Eric Nemeth at 313/481-7318 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Successfully advocated for a business owner and resolved a criminal investigation with all charges dropped.
Successfully secured dismissal of multiple charges including charges with mandatory prison terms.
Negotiated an Offer in Compromise satisfying an obligation in excess of $10 million for less than five percent.
Represented retailer in criminal investigation resulting in no charges filed.
Resolved an IRS examination spanning dozens of related entities preserving valuable deductions and minimizing penalties.
Was lead counsel on significant "off-shore" IRS investigation resulting in a determination of non-willfulness with a resultant client savings in-excess of $10 million.
Represented international commodities trader in multi-agency federal investigation including IRS, EPA and Homeland Security.
Lead counsel for multinational taxpayer in successfully resolving international tax and tax compliance matters.
Successfully spearheaded forensic investigation involving multiple countries, resulting in a non-prosecution determination by the Department of Justice.
Represented prominent entertainer in IRS criminal investigation that resulted in the Department of Justice declining prosecution.
Successfully prevailed in a sentencing phase wherein the client avoided prison and was able to operate and preserve his business.
Represented manufacturing company in IRS civil examination and concluded the examination without any additional tax due.
Negotiated an Offer in Compromise for client fully resolving outstanding tax liabilities for less than 10 percent saving the client over $1 million.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America® since 2012
DBusiness© magazine, Top Lawyers since 2011
Leading Lawyers: Criminal Defense Law - White Collar; Tax Law - Business; Tax Law - Individual
Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Leaders in the Law, 2015
Michigan Super Lawyers® since 2010
Michigan Super Lawyers®, Top 100, 2012
Michigan Super Lawyers®, Top 50 Consumer Super Lawyers, 2016, 2017, 2018
American Bar Association: Taxation Section; Sports Law Section
Detroit Veterans Bar Association, vice president, 2017
Federal Bar Association: Taxation Section, past chair, 1996-2000
State Bar of Michigan: Taxation Section, past chair; Tax Practice and Procedure Section
Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Board of Trustees
Holy Redeemer Schools (Detroit), past chair
Metro Detroit Young Entrepreneurs Academy, Ambassador Club and judge
Michigan State University College of Law: Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic, Board member; Tax Practice and Procedure, adjunct professor
University of Michigan: Victors for Michigan Campaign Steering Committee, co-chair (Dearborn); Dean's Advisory Council (Dearborn)
Walsh College Graduate Tax Program, Tax Fraud Investigations and Forensic Accounting, adjunct professor
News & Publications
- September 20, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- April 8, 2019
- September 11, 2018
- September 10, 2018
- August 27, 2018
- December 18, 2017
- October 19, 2017
- September 6, 2017
- August 16, 2017
- May 15, 2017
- February 13, 2017
- January 16, 2017
- November 1, 2016
- September 12, 2016
- August 26, 2016
- March 9, 2016
- November 18, 2015
- August 20, 2015
- February 23, 2015
- September 3, 2014
- August 27, 2014
- July 29, 2014
- January 2, 2014
- September 6, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- March 21, 2013
- September 24, 2012
- August 31, 2011
- August 26, 2009
- Tax Advisory, July 29, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, April 1, 2019
- Tax Advisory, March 28, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, February 7, 2019
- Tax Advisory, December 5, 2018
- Tax Blog Post, August 3, 2018
- Michigan Business Law Journal, Summer 2018
- Tax Advisory, June 21, 2018
- Michigan Business Law Journal, Spring 2018
- Tax Advisory, May 16, 2018
- Tax Advisory, March 15, 2018
- Michigan Business Law Journal, January 26, 2018
- Tax Advisory, January 2, 2018
- Tax Advisory, December 22, 2017
- Tax Advisory, December 11, 2017
- Michigan Business Law Journal, October 2, 2017
- Michigan Business Law Journal, June 2, 2017
- IRS Dirty Dozen for 2017, Tax Shelters, and Captive Insurance: Attacking Past Problems Using a Voluntary Disclosure StrategyTax Blog Post, April 5, 2017
- Michigan Business Law Journal, January 17, 2017
- Michigan Business Law Journal, September 6, 2016
- Tax Blog Post, April 26, 2016
- Tax Article, April 22, 2016
- Tax Advisory, February 26, 2016
- Tidbits and Food for Thought – New Filing Dates, Statutes of Limitations and Maybe a Second Bite at the Apple?Michigan Business Law Journal, January 22, 2016
- Tax Advisory, December 15, 2015
- Michigan Business Law Journal, October 19, 2015
- Refunds for Improperly Collected Taxes Due to “Computer Glitch” Will Take Weeks: Michigan Dept. of TreasuryTax Advisory, October 9, 2015
- Important Tax Compliance Provisions Included in the Surface Transportation and Veterans Health Care Choice Improvement Act of 2015Tax Advisory, August 3, 2015
- Michigan Business Law Journal, May 11, 2015
- Tax Advisory, January 30, 2015
- Michigan Business Law Journal, January 2, 2015
- Michigan Business Law Journal, September 15, 2014
- Tax Advisory, June 20, 2014
- Michigan Business Law Journal, May 2, 2014
- Michigan Business Law Journal, December 20, 2013
- Michigan Business Law Journal, January 2, 2013
- Tax Article, June 1, 2010
Wayne State University
LL.M., Taxation, 1997
Michigan State University College of Law
J.D., cum laude, 1989
University of Michigan
B.A., Economics, Political Science, 1985
- All Michigan state courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Tax Court