Angelique is a member of Varnum’s Tax Planning, Compliance and Litigation Practice Team. Her practice includes all aspects of federal tax law, federal and state tax controversy, and reporting compliance issues with offshore financial accounts and other assets.
Representative matters include:
- IRS and state tax audits, appeals, and litigation
- IRS and state tax collections including tax liens, levies, garnishments, offers in compromise, innocent spouse claims, penalty abatement and other collection alternatives
- business and payroll tax issues with sales, use and withholding taxes
- worker classification
- corporate officer liability
- IRS civil and criminal tax litigation
Angelique represents individuals and business clients, from small businesses to multimillion dollar corporations, including clients with overseas interests. From the Varnum offices in Novi, Angelique serves clients throughout Michigan. In addition, she has assisted clients with federal tax matters in other states including California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Ohio, Oregon and Wisconsin, as well as in the countries of Dubai UAE, Kuwait, Switzerland and New Zealand.
Before entering private practice, Angelique served as a senior trial attorney in the Office of Chief Counsel to the IRS. She also served as a Special Assistant United States Attorney for the Department of Justice. Angelique uses that knowledge to solve tax problems with creative and foresighted solutions.
Angelique recognizes that dealing with tax problems is confusing and stressful, and she also understands that tax issues require patience, understanding and discretion. Not only does Angelique provide personal professional service, she is an experienced tax attorney who is prepared to fight for your interests. If you have an IRS or a state tax problem, or questions about navigating a tax issue, contact Angelique Neal at 248/567-7831 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Negotiated an offer in compromise for client fully resolving all outstanding tax liabilities for less than 5 percent of the liabilities saving the client in excess of $1.3 million.
Represented multimillion dollar manufacturing company with multi-tiered structure in IRS civil examination and litigation with over $1 million in proposed partnership adjustments, resulting in partnership adjustments of $10,000.
Represented individual before the Michigan Tax Tribunal regarding corporate officer liability for sales, use and withholding taxes resulting in the court cancelling the final assessments against the individual in full.
Successfully argued for withdrawal of federal tax liens filed against professionals in the financial services industry resulting in the liens being removed from public record.
Represented tax return preparer in investigation by the IRS for preparer penalties and injunction resulting in no injunction referral to the Department of Justice and minimal penalties.
Represented small business owners in IRS examination and litigation resulting in a full concession by the government of the additional tax and penalties being asserted by the IRS.
American Bar Association, Taxation Section
Michigan Women's Tax Association
National Association of Tax Professionals
State Bar of Michigan, Taxation Section
Greater Brighton Area Chamber of Commerce
News & Publications
- May 15, 2018
- Tax Blog Post, August 12, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, June 12, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, April 25, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, April 15, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, April 8, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, April 1, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, March 25, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, March 18, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, March 8, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, March 1, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, February 22, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, February 15, 2019
- Tax Blog Post, February 8, 2019
- Tax Advisory, January 31, 2019
Detroit College of Law
J.D., magna cum laude, 1999
University of California
Los Angeles, California
- All Michigan state courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Tax Court