Elizabeth Wells Skaggs Recognized by Michigan Lawyers Weekly as Go To Employment Lawyer
Varnum labor and employment partner Elizabeth Wells Skaggs has been recognized by Michigan Lawyers Weekly as a Go To Lawyer for Employment Law.
Skaggs was recognized for her impressive practice which includes counseling employers on a variety of matters affecting the workplace. She works with clients on matters including the development of effective employee handbooks and policies, disciplinary and dispute resolution procedures, discrimination issues, disability accommodation, wage-hour matters, family medical leave, and harassment and litigation prevention.
Skaggs is also an experienced litigator, representing employers under the numerous state and federal statutes that govern employment relationships. She has experience in both single plaintiff cases and complex class and collective actions.
In addition to her law practice, Skaggs is active in multiple professional organizations and serves on a number of community boards. Among her many accolades, she has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2012, including being named "Lawyer of the Year" in Labor and Employment multiple times. She is listed in Super Lawyers and was recognized by Michigan Lawyers Weekly in 2014 as one of their "Women in the Law" honorees.
Michigan Lawyers Weekly states the criteria for "Go To Lawyer" recognition as follows:
- A lawyer who is an expert in his or her field, well-versed in the nuances of the case law, statutes and regulations clients will encounter.
- A lawyer who is experienced and enjoys a record of success, with many cases and/or transactions that give testimony to the quality advice he or she can provide.
- A lawyer to whom other lawyers make referrals because of his or her expertise and accomplishments.
- A lawyer who can think creatively and identify all options for a client.
- A lawyer you would name when a friend from another state calls and says she has a client who needs some legal help in a given part of our state.
- A lawyer you might call yourself if you needed legal help in his or her field.
Only 20 lawyers across Michigan received the Go To Lawyers for Employment Law recognition. More about the program can be found at https://milawyersweekly.com/news/2021/03/29/go-to-lawyers-for-employment-law-named/.