Food Regulation Law
Varnum's Food Law practice includes more than a dozen attorneys experienced in the sophisticated areas of law that apply to food regulation. We help regulated businesses bring their products to market. In particular, we counsel USDA- and FDA-regulated businesses in the following areas:
- Product labeling, advertising and other promotional materials.
- The regulatory scheme affecting or governing such products, including mandatory and voluntary submissions (FDA-required petitions and notifications) and food facility registration, and the “new” FDA reporting requirements (through RFR).
- Import and export issues, including detentions by Customs and Border Patrol.
- Recall or market withdrawal issues, including the reportable food registry and related planning, policies and audit procedures.
- Effective crisis management, including misbranding lawsuits, government enforcement actions (including press releases and warning letters), stop-sale orders and recall or market withdrawal situations.
- The business of food – documenting and negotiating business relationships and other commercial arrangements, structuring a distribution system and obtaining liability protection throughout the supply and distribution chain.