Matthew W. Bower Partner
Business Law Experience
Matt is a partner in the Business and Corporate Services Practice Team, and participates in the Startup and Emerging Companies and Intellectual Property practice groups. His practice focuses on corporate formation and organization, venture financings, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, securities law, and intellectual property protection and transactions. He works closely with startups, second stage and private companies on day-to-day issues and all manner of corporate and intellectual property transactions. His particular business concentrations include software and hardware development, engineering, Internet and multimedia companies, software as a service (SaaS), manufacturing, and "Internet of things" (IoT) companies across a wide variety industries and applications. He is also a frequent lecturer on entrepreneurship, venture capital and corporate transactions, as well as copyright, trademark, Internet, software, and other areas of intellectual property law .
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
New York, New York
J.D., Cum Laude, 2002
Editor-in-Chief, Cardozo Arts & Entertainment Law Journal, 2001 – 2002
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan (Business, Entertainment, and IT Sections)
- New York State Bar Association (Entertainment and IP Sections)
- American Bar Association (IP Section)
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
Publications and Presentations
- Note, Replaying the Betamax Case for the New Digital VCRs: Introducing TiVo to Fair Use, 20 CARDOZO ARTS & ENT. L.J. 417 (2002)
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), "Doing Business Online," program section and publication YouTube and Beyond: The Law of Online Content Sharing, presented June 5, 2007
- ICLE, "Movie Making in Michigan: A Lawyer's Guide," program section and publication Serving as General Counsel for a Film Project, presented on June 3, 2010
- ICLE, 4th Annual Information Technology Law Seminar, program and publication Representing the Web-based Business, presented on September 21, 2011
- Named in 2014 and 2015 to Detroit Techweek 100; Detroit area leaders significantly impacting business and technology
- Named a Rising Star by Michigan Super Lawyers since 2012
- Up and Coming Lawyer for 2009 by Michigan Lawyer's Weekly
- Chair for the Arts, Communications, Entertainment & Sports (ACES) section of the State Bar of Michigan, 2008 - 2009
- Creative Many Michigan, Lawyers for the Creative Economy (LCE) program, Volunteer lawyer and Advisory Committee member
- Creative Many Michigan, Board of Directors
- Michigan Youth Arts Association, Board of Directors
- Ann Arbor-based Y Combinator company in $1M equity financing.
- Nevada-based Tech Stars IoT company in $550M convertible debt financing and $5M equity financing.
- Ann Arbor-based payment processing company in $1.6M equity financing, $2M venture debt transaction, $1.5M convertible debt financing.
- Detroit-based sale software company $2.5M convertible debt financing and $2M equity financing.
- California-based insurance risk management software company in six-figure licensing transactions.