Varnum corporate attorney Seth Ashby has been recognized by Michigan Lawyers Weekly as a Go To Business Lawyer. The recognition is a new program honoring leading lawyers in a particular field of law.
Ashby was recognized for his impressive practice which includes many of the best-known companies in Michigan as well as national and international clients who require sophisticated legal service.
Among his significant work, Ashby has led a team of M&A lawyers since 2013 handling the robust M&A activity of a leading global insurance broker throughout the United States and abroad. Since 2013, approximately 500 acquisitions have closed, including several transactions between $100 million and $400 million in upfront consideration and two liquidity events that implied multi-billion dollar valuations.
Other significant matters include the representation of a Chinese publicly-listed company in acquiring a southeast Michigan designer and manufacturer of conveyor and material handling systems, the client’s first acquisition in North America. He also recently represented a family-owned, medical device contract manufacturer in selling a controlling stake to a financial buyer. In both matters the opposing counsel was a global law firm.
In addition to his law practice, Ashby serves on a number of community boards and was appointed leader of Varnum’s Corporate Practice Team in 2019.
MLW criteria for the recognition includes:
- A lawyer who is an expert in his or her field, well-versed in the nuances of the case law, statutes and regulations clients will encounter.
- A lawyer who is experienced and enjoys a record of success, with many cases and/or transactions that give testimony to the quality advice he or she can provide.
- A lawyer to whom other lawyers make referrals because of his or her expertise and accomplishments.
- A lawyer who can think creatively and identify all options for a client.
- A lawyer you would name when a friend from another state calls and says she has a client who needs some legal help in a given part of our state.
- A lawyer you might call yourself if you needed legal help in his or her field.
Only 20 lawyers across Michigan received the Go To Business Lawyers recognition. More about the program can be found at https://milawyersweekly.com/michigans-go-to-lawyers/.