MiSpringboard is Varnum’s statewide initiative designed to remove some of the barriers associated with starting a business by providing free legal services to Michigan startups.
Varnum launched the MiSpringboard program in 2011 as a way of helping Michigan’s then-struggling economy with a commitment of $1 million in free legal services. MiSpringboard was our way of helping the economy by doing what we do best – providing high-quality legal counsel to qualified businesses and individuals.
Due to the overwhelming success of the program, the initial $1 million commitment has been renewed multiple times over the past ten years.
MiSpringboard Candidate Characteristics
Good candidates for participation in the MiSpringboard program:
- Are located in Michigan
- Have a written business plan
- Provide innovative solutions to problems
- Have potential to scale and grow
- Can be from any sector of the economy
- Often use technology to help deliver value to customers
- Have founders willing to devote substantial time and energy to the business
- Have potential to attract investors
- Demonstrate a need for Varnum’s legal support
Personal service businesses, smaller retail shops and part-time lifestyle businesses are not typically strong candidates for the MiSpringboard program.