“Varnum is committed to leadership in the area of diversity and inclusion. We are accountable to ourselves, our clients and the community for momentum and progress on these values.”
From the Varnum Diversity and Inclusion Principles
Varnum embraces the fundamental principle that diversity and meaningful inclusion are not only necessary components of the firm’s culture, they are essential to providing top-quality legal services to sophisticated consumers. This commitment is evident in the firm’s policies and widespread activities.
Recruiting and Retention Efforts
Recognizing the advantages of a diverse environment, Varnum has made a determined effort to recruit women and minorities at all levels of the firm. Recruiting and retaining women and minorities is a firm-wide commitment exemplified in our hiring program.
The majority of our new associates are hired from our Summer Associate Program. In addition to recruiting from law schools with diverse student populations, Varnum attempts to further reach minority students for this program by participating in the following:
- The Wolverine Bar Association’s 1L summer clerkship program, designed to increase the number of minority attorneys employed within the legal community. The SCP places students in law firms and corporations in the metro Detroit community.
- The Grand Rapids Bar Association Minority Clerkship Program, in conjunction with the Floyd Skinner Bar Association. Varnum has participated in this program since its inception in 1990.
- University of Michigan Black Law Students Association (BLSA) Alden J. "Butch" Carpenter Memorial Scholarship Gala, which raises money to award scholarships to three outstanding first-year BLSA member law students interested in business law and who demonstrate a commitment to community development.
- University of Michigan Latino Law Student Association (LLSA) Juan Tienda Scholarship Banquet, which recognizes Michigan law students and alum who have made significant contributions to the Latino community and raises money to award up to $10,000 in scholarships to exceptional first-year law students.
- University of Michigan Asian Pacific American Law Student Association (APALSA) Origins Banquet, which raises money for public interest fellowships.
- University of Michigan Student Funded Fellowship Auction, which raises money to fund Michigan law students who serve their communities by taking low-paying or unpaid public interest positions during their 1L summer.
The Kevin E. Kennedy Fellowship Gala, which supports Outlaws @ the University of Michigan Law School. Outlaws serves as an academic, social and political resource for students in the law school, welcoming all students who express an interest in issues affecting the LGBTQ+ community.
Varnum recognizes that each person is an individual with unique needs. Those might include raising children, caring for aging parents, participating in community activities, coping with illness, and more. Varnum makes it possible for all its employees to address those issues while also being valued and successful employees in their chosen fields by offering flexible work arrangements, including part-time employment and the ability to work from home.
We believe this contributes to increased job satisfaction which results in a high level of retention. Associate attorneys are able to accrue hours toward partnership status even while working part time.
The number of women employees in key positions at Varnum is strong. In addition to 46 women attorneys (about 25 percent of the firm’s total attorney population), women play a strong role in other key positions at the firm. Of Varnum’s 30 support professional positions, 23 are filled by women. Of the firm’s six administrative positions, four are filled by women.
Varnum in the Community
Varnum supports numerous organizations with volunteer efforts, monetary contributions and sponsorships. Of particular note is our longstanding relationship with Buchanan Elementary School in Grand Rapids and our more recent affiliation with Durfee Elementary School in Detroit.
- May 18, 2020 – West Michigan Asian American Association Gala
- March 5, 2020 – WMCAT iBall
- February 22, 2020 – Giant Awards, Grand Rapids Community College
- February 21, 2020 – “Up From the Bottoms: The Search for the American Dream” (internal event at Varnum)
- January 1, 2020 – Disability Advocates of Kent County, Access for All
- January 1, 2020 – University PREP Academy
- January 1, 2020 – Diversity and Inclusion Calendars, Cascade Engineering
- December 11, 2019 – Varnum Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Council Holiday Reception
- December 5, 2019 – Winter Sparkle Event – Grand Rapids Opportunities for Women
- November 23, 2019 – Grand Rapids Symphony Neighborhood Concert celebrating the Latinx community
- November 13, 2019 – YWCA Tribute Awards Luncheon
- November 2, 2019 – Grand Rapids African American Museum and Archives (GRAAMA) premiere of Harriet, Gold Sponsor
- November 1, 2019 – Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Summit
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
Varnum's DEI Committee is made up of passionate, energetic and dedicated Varnum partners, associates and staff members who recognize that an inclusive culture makes the firm a more interesting place to work and enables us to respond with greater flexibility to challenges faced by our clients in a diverse, multicultural world.
The DEI committee works with the Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Council to provide programming for attorneys and staff and develop and advance the firm’s diversity and inclusion efforts.
Opportunities for Students
Varnum Endowed Scholarship Fund at Davenport University
This scholarship, established in 1998, honors students of color who embody a commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion, both within the legal profession and the community, a strong tradition at Varnum LLP and a shared value with Davenport. The scholarship is awarded annually to students of color from Michigan with a 3.0 grade point average on a 4-point scale and with a preference for those interested in pursuing a law-related career such as attorney, paralegal, legal assistant, legal secretary, or law librarian in the State of Michigan.
- February 15, 2021
- January 20, 2021
- October 15, 2019
- June 12, 2019
- June 11, 2019
- October 2, 2018
- June 27, 2018
- June 13, 2017
- June 9, 2017
- September 30, 2016
- September 19, 2016
- August 3, 2016
- July 13, 2016
- September 18, 2015
- August 11, 2015
- June 11, 2015
- May 12, 2015
- September 10, 2014
- July 15, 2014
- May 20, 2014
- February 20, 2014
- July 30, 2013
- July 22, 2013
- April 3, 2013
- January 22, 2013
- January 22, 2013
- July 16, 2012
- June 4, 2012
- March 9, 2012
- February 7, 2012
- January 25, 2012
- September 13, 2011
- June 13, 2011
- May 24, 2011
- March 29, 2011
- January 11, 2011
- December 6, 2010
- April 15, 2010
- October 9, 2008