We encourage involvement and leadership in the communities in which we live.
The Varnum Team Promise
Varnum's commitment to the community includes significant financial contributions to a variety of organizations, from arts, education and health care agencies to social service, community and economic development endeavors. Our Contributions Committee meets monthly to review and evaluate requests.
We’re more than just lawyers; Varnum attorneys are leaders in the communities in which we live and work. Our attorneys serve many community organizations, including the following:
| || |
Buchanan Elementary School
Varnum's Grand Rapids office initially began a holiday sharing relationship with Buchanan Elementary School in 1989. Quickly realizing that the needs of Buchanan families are ongoing, the firm-wide Seasons for Giving program was developed. The program provides for a year-long commitment to the school, its students and families through a variety of seasonal activities:
- February – proceeds from a firm bake sale go to purchase books for March reading month and Valentine's Day cards so each student may participate in classroom parties and festivities.
- March – Varnum volunteers visit the school and read to students during reading month. Books are also donated to each classroom.
- May – an appreciation luncheon is hosted by Varnum at the school to thank the teachers for all they do for the students throughout the year.
- June – Varnum staff and summer associates scoop, sprinkle and top ice cream for each student and teacher at the annual celebration on the last day of school.
- August/September – teachers provide a class-and-grade-specific wish list of school supplies that are fulfilled by Varnum volunteer shoppers. The Seasons for Giving program funds the purchase of these supplies as well as at least one school uniform for each student. At Varnum, Buchanan student-of-the-month tee shirts are sold to members of the firm who sign the shirts for presentation as student rewards throughout the year.
- November/December – every student at Buchanan and SECOM receives a holiday gift and Santa (and many of his elves) visits to sing songs, read stories, share smiles and decorate cookies. Family bags filled with everyday essential toiletry items are given to parents and caretakers for home use. In addition, since 2006 the Varnum client holiday card sent to over 10,000 recipients has been created and designed by a fourth-grade art student.
Varnum's relationship with Buchanan Elementary is significant and is just one of many ways Varnum is honored to be involved in the communities in which we live and work.
Pro Bono Work
An important part of our overall responsibility as attorneys is to provide free legal services to those in need. Varnum undertakes this duty by securing its pro bono files through referrals from the Pro Bono Program of Western Michigan (a program established in 1982 by the Grand Rapids Bar Association and Legal Aid of Western Michigan), the Mel Trotter Ministries Legal Clinic, and other entities that refer matters for veterans to us.
Varnum participates in these programs by providing legal services to individuals who are qualified to receive pro bono services. Although Varnum provides free legal services to other individuals and on behalf of various nonprofit agencies, we take pro bono credit only for files from Legal Aid of Western Michigan and the Mel Trotter Ministries Legal Clinic, and assisting veterans. We treat time spent on these cases in the same manner as billable client time. In addition, Varnum provides a financial contribution that far exceeds the Voluntary Standard established by the State Bar of Michigan. Varnum also pays all costs associated with each representation, and waives reimbursement for these expenses from the referring entity.
Our commitment to pro bono representation begins with our summer associates, who are offered the opportunity to handle at least one referral case during their clerkship, a unique and positive aspect of our summer program, and continues with our associate level attorneys. Our partners also devote a significant amount of time to the program through handling pro bono files, and supervising younger attorneys and summer clerks. Mark Allard, litigation partner, is our pro bono coordinator.
In 2018, the firm provided 1,862 hours in pro bono services on 81 files that met these criteria. The $675,985 in fees and $14,417 in waived costs, combined with a $40,000 cash contribution to the Access to Justice Fund, brought Varnum’s total contribution to $730,402.
Varnum is recognized by the State Bar of Michigan for its pro bono contributions. The firm is part of the State Bar's "Circle of Excellence" at the Leadership level, reserved for law firms with 100 percent aggregate contributions at the Pro Bono Voluntary Standard level (30 hours or $500 per attorney in financial donations).
Varnum is proud of its pro bono commitment. The support and participation by attorneys throughout the firm makes it clear that pro bono representation is part of the fabric of our firm.
Varnum staff and summer associates scoop, sprinkle and top ice cream at the annual end-of-school-year celebration for students at Buchanan Elementary School.