Private Equity Services
Varnum attorneys have a wide variety of experience in private equity transactions and regularly work with significant private equity funds and lenders. With a historically strong merger and acquisition (M&A) practice, we routinely represent and advise clients on M&A transactions with values exceeding $100 million and occasionally exceeding $500 million.
In the last several years, a significant percentage of our M&A transactions have involved private equity funds, and a core group of our M&A attorneys have developed significant experience related to private equity deals. This experience includes a substantial number of transactions both representing private equity funds in acquisitions and sales, and representing owners selling to private equity groups.
In addition, we have handled all aspects of numerous other private equity transactions including structuring, negotiating and implementing both the M&A and financing components of these transactions. In connection with these transactions, we routinely work with the most significant private equity funds and lenders in the world, and their advisors. Our representation and involvement in a number of transactions has led to continuing relationships with a variety of private equity groups.
While Varnum has the skill and capacity to handle transactions of all sizes, we are especially well situated to add value in deals with transaction values of $500 million or less. We have found that many clients feel that mega-firms do not provide the same level of service when dealing with transactions of this size. Because these transactions are Varnum’s focus, you can expect to be serviced by our best attorneys and receive unparalleled attention and client service when utilizing Varnum. As an added bonus, our fees are often significantly lower than our competitors, and this is especially attractive for transactions of this size.
- Representation of a private equity fund in a roll-up of three automotive suppliers and a subsequent sale of the combined organization to a different private equity fund ($415 million).
- Representation of management in the sale of the stock of a manufacturing company to an international private equity fund involving an equity rollover and complex international tax planning ($235 million).
- Representation of an automotive supplier emerging from bankruptcy through an investment by a number of private equity funds ($125 million) and a subsequent preferred stock rights offering ($30 million) and refinancing ($200 million senior debt and $60 million junior debt).
- Representation of food industry contract-packager in the sale of assets to a private equity fund involving seller financing consideration ($250 million).
- Representation of provider of laser cosmetic surgery and related services in the sale of assets to a private equity fund and subsequent capital restructurings ($225 million).
News & Publications
- Startup Blog Post, January 23, 2014
- Startup Blog Post, September 24, 2013