Employee Benefits Litigation
Varnum represents employers and multi-employer plans in ERISA litigation matters. We have litigated a broad range of issues, from individual claim matters to class action retiree health care disputes. Varnum also provides in-house training for purposes of enhancing understanding of the claim appeal and litigation process.
For more information, please contact either your Varnum attorney, or Mark Allard at 616/336-6562 or email@example.com
- Varnum represents a national cereal and convenience food manufacturer and its Employee Benefit Plans as national litigation counsel for ERISA claims. We handle all facets of pension claims, disability claims and health care claims. Representation has included shaping the law on discovery issues in various federal circuits relating to pension claims. This representation is defining the scope of judicial review of administrative decisions.
- Varnum represented a major automotive company and its Employee Benefit Plans as national litigation counsel. We handled pension claims, disability claims and health care claims throughout the United States.
- Varnum represented a depository bank in a breach of fiduciary duty claim initiated by the Department of Labor. The District Court dismissed the claim against the bank as a matter of law. Varnum helped define the standard for fiduciary liability for depository banks.
- Varnum represented multi-employer benefit plans relating to contributions and withdrawal liability issues. Varnum is helping to develop withdrawal liability law issues relating to trust fund theories for contributions withheld from paychecks, but not paid to the multi-employer plans.
- Varnum represented a regional grocery chain in a class action claim dealing with a disability pension issue. The class action was dismissed, and judgment was entered against Plaintiff for benefit claim.
- Varnum represented a Fortune 500 company and its Employee Benefit Plan in an Employee Health Care Class Action litigation matter. The jury verdict resulted in significant savings to the company and the plan.
News & Publications
- August 16, 2017
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers® Ranks Varnum in more than 40 Practice Areas in Latest "Best Law Firms" ListNovember 22, 2016
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers Gives Varnum Tier 1 Ranking in more than 30 Practice Areas in "Best Law Firms"November 4, 2015
- August 26, 2015
- November 10, 2014
- October 10, 2014