American Indian Land, Environment and Resources
Varnum counsels American Indian bands and other sovereign entities with respect to acquisition, management and development of land and resources, and we provide guidance on related environmental and regulatory issues, including:
- Acquisition, development, recovery and remediation of sites with archaeological, historical and cultural issues.
- Endangered Species Act application and interpretation in Indian Country.
- Environmental assessments and environmental issues in Indian Country.
- Mining and minerals exploration, extraction and management.
- Oil and gas exploration, development and distribution.
- Property law and property tax matters.
- Establishing and enforcing repatriation rights.
- Establishing and enforcing treaty rights.
- Protecting and developing water resources and riparian rights.
News & Publications
- American Indian Law Advisory, August 28, 2012