American Indian Housing
Varnum counsels tribal entities and organizations in the many important areas related to housing. We are experienced and prepared to assist your tribal housing entity in the following areas:
- General counsel to tribal housing agencies and instrumentalities.
- Cross-deputization and cooperative law enforcement agreements between tribal housing authorities and local, state and federal agencies.
- Endangered Species Act application and interpretation for housing developments in Indian Country.
- Environmental assessments and environmental issues for tribal housing projects.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution within tribal housing structures/instrumentalities and with outside resolution services.
- General housing policies and procedures.
- HUD financing and program issues, including maximizing program funds, preparing for and responding to audits and defending against funding freezes and other disciplinary actions.
- Land to trust applications.
- Litigation and resolution of housing, zoning, tax, regulatory authority and other issues related to housing development and management.
- Native American Housing and Self-Determination Act programs, implementation, interpretation and issues.
- Tax law matters related to housing and land development.
News & Publications
- American Indian Law Advisory, August 28, 2012