American Indian Families and Human Rights
Varnum is especially proud of its experience and qualifications to meet the needs of the individual members of federally-recognized tribes. We believe that no other firm has developed and offers similar expertise and ability in meeting the needs of tribal members, not just the needs of tribal organizations.
- Estate planning, family law and asset protection representation with consideration for per capita payments, enrollment issues, Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) issues, tribal law, sovereignty and other American Indian issues.
- Family law counseling and advice, including adoption, child custody, child abuse/neglect allegations, divorce, guardianship and similar issues, with special consideration for ICWA issues, cultural preservation, enrollment issues, and tribal law, jurisdiction, traditions and sovereignty.
- Representation of individuals in tribal grievance proceedings.
- Representation of Individuals in tribal courts.
- Indian Child Welfare Act matters.
- Prosecuting anti-Indian discrimination claims.
News & Publications
- American Indian Law Advisory, November 30, 2017
- American Indian Law Blog Post, June 14, 2016
- Michigan Court of Appeals Reverses Adoption of Indian Child; Cites Michigan Adoptive Placement Preference StandardsAmerican Indian Law Blog Post, March 20, 2015
- American Indian Law Advisory, August 28, 2012