Business Litigation, Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Attorney
Shanna is a member of Varnum’s Litigation and Trial Practice Team and Banking, Finance and Restructuring Practice Team, representing clients in a wide range of litigation, bankruptcy and creditors' rights matters. She specializes in bankruptcy-related litigation, which includes defending individuals and businesses in adversary proceedings - such as preference actions, fraudulent conveyance actions and lien priority disputes - brought against them in bankruptcy courts throughout the country.
In addition, Shanna specializes in business litigation, representing businesses and individuals in complex business disputes, including shareholder and partnership disputes, breach of contract disputes, supply chain disputes and business torts. She has tried several matters in both state and federal courts, including bankruptcy court, and also has arbitration experience.
Shanna has extensive experience representing diverse creditors in all aspects of bankruptcy, probate, receivership and debt collection matters. In addition, she has defended Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) claims, consumer protection act claims, usury claims and lender liability claims. Her considerable knowledge of the merchant cash advance industry has allowed Shanna to develop a unique specialty representing merchant cash advance companies in litigation, bankruptcy and collection matters.
For more information, please contact Shanna Kaminski at 313/481-7332 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Represented multinational automotive supplier in million-dollar breach of contract and intentional interference action brought in federal court. Assisted with representing the same automotive supplier in similar litigation pending against it in Italy.
Defended business owner with stores throughout the country in multimillion-dollar breach of contract action brought in federal court.
Represented small business and small business owner in fraudulent conveyance action brought against them by a Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee. Defamation counterclaim filed on behalf of small business and small business owner against bankruptcy trustee in same action survived dismissal.
Defended debtor in action filed by United States Trustee in bankruptcy court seeking to deny Chapter 7 discharge. Debtor’s Chapter 7 discharge was not denied.
Represented debt collection company in federal court action filed against it by a secured creditor alleging conversion of funds obtained pursuant to an execution. Obtained dismissal of action without client facing any liability.
Represented debt collection company in federal court action filed against it that alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. Obtained dismissal of action without client facing any liability.
Honors & Recognitions
Detroit Bar Association Barristers, President's Award, 2019
Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Up & Coming Lawyer, 2019
Alternative Finance Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute
Consumer Bankruptcy Association, Board of Directors, secretary
Detroit Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), Board
Italian American Bar Association
Oakland County Bar Association, Debtor/Creditor Committee, chair
State Bar of Michigan, Debtor/Creditor Rights Committee, co-vice chair
Turnaround Management Association (TMA), Network of Women Committee
Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, Wayne Region, Board
Dante Alighieri Society of Michigan, Board of Directors
Detroit Area Art Deco Society
Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce, ambassador
Eastern Michigan University Mock Trial and Moot Court teams, volunteer
Living Arts, volunteer
Michigan Historic Preservation Network
News & Publications
- October 22, 2019
- July 25, 2019
- April 30, 2019
- March 20, 2019
- Do Changes in the Bankruptcy Code and the Educational Borrowing Environment Warrant Abandoning the Brunner Test?Norton Bankruptcy Law Adviser, May 2013
- Grundy County (Illinois) Circuit Court, the Honorable Lance R. Peterson
Valparaiso University School of Law
Eastern Michigan University
B.S., cum laude, 2005
- All Michigan state courts
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Colorado
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas