Mike has a multistate practice focused primarily on debt restructuring and complex commercial litigation. He serves many businesses, but specializes in automotive, agriculture and telecommunications. He also regularly represents health care research facilities, ambulance agencies, physician groups and other health care clients. Mike served as a law clerk to the late Hon. David E. Nims, a United States bankruptcy judge in the Western District of Michigan. Prior to joining Varnum, Mike was an FBI agent working primarily in foreign counterintelligence.
Debt Restructuring and Insolvency Cases
Multiple dairy receiverships in several states.
Buyer of nationwide trucking company in litigation against the liquidation trustee for Gainey Transportation Services, Inc.
Creditors Committee for Cheboygan Memorial Hospital.
Many Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers to OEMs.
Many fraudulent transfer and other avoidance cases.
Telecommunications company in an appeal to the Michigan Supreme Court involving dedicated transmission facility payment obligations.
The prevailing party in a bankruptcy related appeal to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals (In re Hechinger Investment Company of Delaware, Inc.) Hechinger v Universal Forest Products, Inc., 489 F.3d 568 (3rd Cir. 2010)
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America® since 2010
Leading Lawyers: Bankruptcy & Workout Law - Commercial; Creditor's Rights/Commercial Collections Law
Grand Rapids Bar Association
National Association of Diocesan Lawyers
State Bar of Michigan
Turnaround Management Association, Grand Rapids chapter, director
San Juan Diego Academy, Board member
News & Publications
- Bankruptcy Blog Post, January 31, 2017
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Michigan, Honorable David E. Nims
Wayne State University Law School
Grand Valley State University
- All Michigan state courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Supreme Court