Justin is a member of the Banking, Finance and Restructuring Practice team. He has worked with a wide array of clients, including banks and other financial institutions, insurance companies, developers, nonprofit organizations, private equity investors and borrowers on transactional matters.
His primary practice focuses on a variety of commercial finance transactions, including real estate, construction and acquisition financing, asset-based lending and other secured transactions. He has negotiated and documented numerous transactions involving revolving credit facilities and term loans, participations and syndicated deals, intercreditor arrangements among lenders, forbearance and workouts of distressed and defaulted loans, and tax credits.
For more information, please contact Justin Fitzgerald at 616/336-6395 or email@example.com
Represented First National Bank in Howell in its merger with Bank of Ann Arbor. The deal is valued at approximately $101.4 million. Varnum structured, negotiated and prepared the definitive documents.
Commercial Real Estate Lending
- Represented lender providing six individual loans with first mortgage proceeds totaling $35 million and secured by six free-standing Walgreens pharmacy stores throughout Massachusetts.
- Represented lender providing a $12 million loan for the acquisition and permanent financing for a 28-unit residential building in South Boston, Massachusetts.
- Represented lender providing $21 million construction loan for the construction of a 150-unit Marriott hotel located in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Commercial and Industrial Lending
- Represented lender providing $10 million revolving line of credit facility and $8.32 million commercial real estate mortgage loan to multiple borrowers for a stock redemption and buyout of existing shareholders.
- Represented lender with the amendment and increase to an existing revolving demand line of credit facility, the renewal and amendment to and refinancing of an existing equipment loan facility, and a new term loan facility for a regional pharmaceutical company.
- Represented lender in $23 million revolving line of credit asset based lending transaction with a national company providing alarm and security services.
- Represented lender in the amendment and restatement of a $10 million asset-based revolving line of credit facility for an international distributor of frozen food products.
Restructuring Finance Transactions
- Represented lender in the restructuring of 26 commercial real estate mortgage loans owned by 24 trusts to cross-collateralize, cross-guaranty and cross-default all properties and owners.
Capital Raising Transactions
- Represented bank holding company in a $13 million transaction involving the sale of common equity
- Represented bank holding company in the issuance of $8.75 million of subordinated notes.
Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Transactions
- Represented investor in a $25 million equity investment for the acquisition and rehabilitation of 589 senior apartment units in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- Represented investor in a $10 million equity investment in connection with the new construction of a 66 unit low-income family housing development in Las Vegas, Nevada.
New-Market Tax Credit Transactions
- Represented community development entity with respect to a $20 million loan for the development and construction of a 60,000 square foot dairy processing facility in Greenville, Michigan.
- Represented leverage lender regarding a $15 million loan in connection with implementing new harvesting technology for 163,500 acres of timberland in Cook County, West Virginia.
Association for Corporate Growth
Grand Rapids Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan
News & Publications
- August 14, 2019
Speaker, IPED Conference, "Learn the Basics: Housing Tax Credits 101," April 4-5, 2019
- Beware of the Federal Tax LienRisk Management Association New England Newsletter, Spring 2015