Intellectual Property Attorney
Charlie focuses on patent and trademark prosecution in both the U.S. and foreign jurisdictions. He works with clients to file and prosecute patents in a broad range of mechanical and electrical art fields, including automotive components, consumer products, medical devices, LED light technologies and industrial machines. He also assists clients in enforcing patent and trademark rights and defending against infringement actions.
Charlie drafts software, trademark and patent license agreements, and assists in due diligence related to intellectual property for mergers and acquisition agreements. He regularly conducts and analyzes novelty, state-of-the-art and patent clearance searches, and prepares freedom-to-operate and novelty opinions. Prior to his legal career, Charlie worked as an electrical controls engineer.
For more information, please contact Charlie Gray at 248/567-7817 or email@example.com
- Worked with large aftermarket automotive product supplier to prepare and prosecute brake controller patents.
- Drafted and prosecuted patent applications for medical device related technologies including wireless implantable sensing technology and implantation and monitoring methods, stent devices and methods, and nerve stimulation devices.
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications for key cutting machine manufacturer to protect new designs related to vision-based cutting systems.
- Assisted large consumer device manufacturer in patent litigation related to high-end blender products.
- Worked with startup companies to patent and protect new developments and innovations in the areas of: data migration; automated document form population through optical character recognition; carbon dioxide reclamation; underwater drown technology; trail camera network systems; anti-virus software; CPAP mask accessories; and more
- Prepared and prosecuted patents on supplemental vehicle power systems for spin off company from Tier 1 automotive supplier.
- Prepared non-infringement opinions related to methods of displaying surface materials over computer networks.
- Represented large office furniture manufacturer in multiple federal court actions to enforce patent, trademark and trade dress rights against infringers.
- Worked with Tier 1 automotive supplier to prepare and prosecute patents in the areas of powertrains, chassis and noise dampening, and tubular air flow systems.
- Worked with LED lighting company to protect lighting designs in the marine and RV space.
- Worked with innovative sports bra manufacturer to protect and enforce trademark rights worldwide.
- Assisted manufacturer of chemical sprayer in enforcing patent rights and removing infringing products from marketplace.
- Represented large automotive part supplier in sale of product portfolio and related technologies, including negotiating and advising on intellectual property related matters.
American Bar Association
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan
United States Patent and Trademark Office
News & Publications
- March 22, 2018
- December 7, 2016
- December 3, 2014
- Intellectual Property Advisory, March 13, 2019
- Intellectual Property Advisory, January 10, 2019
- Startup Blog Post, February 24, 2015
Case Western Reserve University School of Law
J.D., cum laude, 2008
Grand Valley State University, Padnos School of Engineering
Grand Rapids, Michigan
B.S., Electrical Engineering, 2002
- All Michigan state courts