Chambers USA Ranks Varnum, Attorneys Among Top Michigan Law Firms
Varnum LLP has once again been ranked in several practice areas in Chambers USA, a national directory that ranks leading law firms and lawyers. Varnum achieved rankings in four of the six practice areas for which Chambers ranks Michigan firms.
Chambers published the following about Varnum:
Banking and Finance: Focused on complex federal and state regulatory issues on behalf of a series of financial institutions. Also advises both lenders and borrowers in loan transactions and workouts. Strengths (quotes mainly from clients): "They've been on corporate banking issues and each time the service is exemplary – quick turnaround and they help us accomplish our goals very quickly."
Labor and Employment: Offers expertise in traditional labor law, employment litigation, immigration and workers' compensation. Represents the management of a range of organizations of all sizes." Strengths (quotes mainly from clients): "They're very thorough and definitely look at all sides of the situation. They're very accommodating and you really feel that you're in partnership." "They have an understanding of my workplace and the practical necessities of dealing with strategy and problem-solving as well as the legal side."
Litigation – General Commercial: Represents clients in all manner of disputes, including securities litigation, product liability and environmental claims. Involved in state and federal courts on behalf of organizations from both the private and public sectors. Strengths (quotes mainly from clients): "They're so accessible to us. A very strong firm with a lot of resources [at] hand." "Practical, cost-conscious and good communication. They understand our goals and can move forward."
Real Estate: Full service practice that works with investors, businesses, developers and institutions on a wide range of matters pertaining to commercial, residential and industrial real estate. Also handles sophisticated regulatory issues. Strengths (quotes mainly from clients): "They're qualified and motivated attorneys who do a good job for us in areas where we can't afford to have mediocre representation." " Great advisers on deal structures and bringing new ideas to the table."
Chambers also acknowledged several Varnum attorneys as notable practitioners:
- David McLeod (Banking) represents lenders in acquisitions, real estate and commercial financing transactions. "Clients value his experience and praise his 'very attentive' approach to their needs."
- Richard Hooker (Labor and Employment) is recognized in the field of traditional labor law, and clients appreciate that he is "very responsive and gives clear advice." Sources say he "knows practical solutions as well as technical legal strategy."
- David Khorey (Labor and Employment) provides consultation on labor and employment issues to clients from the automotive, transportation and health care industries. Clients report that they can rely on his advice.
- Lawrence J. Murphy (Labor and Employment) The "extremely knowledgeable and level-headed" Lawrence J. Murphy handles discrimination, harassment and wrongful discharge disputes. Clients say that "his strategic view is really good, always looking three steps down the road."
- Nyal Deems (Real Estate) has a wealth of experience in representing municipal clients. He focuses his practice on conveyance and lease transactions for development projects such as those in the hospitality and retail industries.
Each year, Chambers USA conducts in-depth research through telephone interviews with lawyers and clients in order to rank lawyers and law firms. Chambers is noted for providing a comprehensive view of the marketplace, the depth and quality of research, and commitment to reporting integrity. Chambers USA was recently identified as the overwhelming leader in a poll of 20,000 in-house counsel from around the world who were asked to identify which directory they use to find lawyers or law firms.
* Statements by clients concerning past results do not assure similar outcomes in any other matter.