Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Varnum Attorneys, Practice Teams
Varnum is once again ranked in the latest edition of Chambers USA, which ranks lawyers and law firms based on client and peer research. In Michigan, Chambers USA ranks firms in just eight practice areas.
Varnum was ranked in the areas of Banking & Finance, Corporate/M&A, Labor & Employment and Real Estate. The firm was also recognized for Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation. In addition, Chambers ranked several individual attorneys from a variety of practice areas.
Chambers guides are the culmination of thousands of in-depth interviews by the largest research team of its kind and are trusted globally to objectively rank the world’s best lawyers and law firms.
Chambers USA published the following about Varnum in the 2019 edition:
Banking & Finance
“Strong team in the Michigan market advising on loan origination and acquisition financing mandates. Acts on behalf of an array of banks and other financial institutions. Also assists with restructuring and workout matters, and offers expertise in governance and regulatory affairs.”
“Broad offering with experience advising on M&A transactions, securities, venture capital financing and a range of general corporate matters. Possesses complementary expertise in antitrust, tax and immigration. Also offers specialist private equity transactional advice.” Clients report:
"They are very professional, expert in their fields, diligent and pragmatic.”
Labor and Employment
“Grand Rapids-headquartered firm noted for its high-quality labor and employment offering and complementary expertise in immigration law. Routinely advises large human resources departments on workforce reduction strategies, contract issues and labor relations. Especially well known for its active and successful arbitration practice.” Clients say:
“My impression of the team as a whole is very favourable; the attorneys have given solid, reliable advice and our relationship with the firm has been an asset to our company.”
“The firm’s services are outstanding.”
“Compact real estate group based in Grand Rapids, with a strong transactional focus and significant experience in finance-related matters. Adept at advising clients in high-value commercial, industrial and residential development work. Regularly acts alongside other departments in the firm on significant, multistranded real estate matters. Clients include banks, hospitals, developers, brokers and individual investors.” Sources say:
“Varnum is an outstanding firm to work with – the attorneys are all extremely competent and professional.”
“The Varnum real estate team is excellent.”
“The team really makes us feel like a very important client; they are always available and willing to help.”
The following attorneys were individually recognized by Chambers:
- Jon Anderson, Recognized Practitioner in Real Estate.
- Nyal Deems (Real Estate) is described by interviewees as an “outstanding practitioner in the real estate space.” He focuses his practice on construction matters, land use approvals and conveyance and lease transactions.
- Jeff DeVree, Recognized Practitioner in Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation.
- Tom Forster, Recognized Practitioner in Real Estate
- Dick Hooker offers expertise in traditional labor relations matters and employment litigation. He is also experienced in the handling of unemployment insurance taxation matters.
- Dave Khorey focuses his practice on advisory work concerning a variety of complex labor and employment matters. His client list includes employers across the automotive, healthcare and transportation industries. Clients praise him as “knowledgeable, thorough and responsive.”
- Larry Murphy is an established employment litigator, noted for his expert handling of executive employment contracts, trade secrets and discipline matters.