Buchanan Elected to College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers recently announced that Varnum partner Barbara Eckert Buchanan has been elected as a new Fellow. Buchanan will officially be installed at the College’s annual meeting in San Francisco on November 10, 2018.
Election as a Fellow is the highest recognition by peers of sustained outstanding performance in the profession, exemplifying integrity, dedication and excellence. The College recognizes attorneys who, by long and outstanding service, have distinguished themselves as leaders in the field.
Throughout her 25-year career, Ms. Buchanan has focused on representation of management in labor and employment relations and related litigation, for both public and private employers. Her focus in the health care industry also includes matters involving peer review activities, professional credentialing and discipline.
The American College of Labor and Employment Lawyers was formed in 1995 through an initiative of the Council of the Section of Labor and Employment Law of the American Bar Association. Fellows are chosen for exemplifying the following qualifications:
- The highest professional and ethical standards based on the College's acclaimed Principles of Civility and Professionalism.
- The highest level of character, integrity, professional expertise and leadership.
- A commitment to fostering and furthering the objectives of the College.
- Sustained, exceptionally high-quality services to clients, bar, bench and public.
- Significant evidence of scholarship, teaching, lecturing and/or published writings on Labor and Employment Law.
Ms. Buchanan is a graduate of Santa Clara University School of Law and holds undergraduate degrees from the University of Michigan. A seasoned litigator, she is admitted to practice in U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.