Varnum's Annual Institute for Tax Practitioners
November 6, 2018 – Grand Rapids
7:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Bridgewater Place - 2nd Floor
333 Bridge Street NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
November 14, 2018 – Detroit (Plymouth)
7:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
The Inn at St. John's
44045 Five Mile Road
Plymouth, MI 48170
A Year of Unprecedented Change
Join Varnum's team of experienced federal and state tax planning and compliance professionals for a comprehensive half-day seminar specifically for tax practitioners.
Continuing Education Credits
A total of five (5) hours of CPE credit -- including one (1) hour of ethics credit -- is available to attendees of this seminar.
7:30 - 8:00 a.m. Registration and Breakfast
8:00 - 8:40 a.m. Federal Tax Update
- Introduction to Tax Reform: a Closer Look at the SALT Deduction Cap
- International Tax -- Including M&A and Foreign Partner Issues
8:40 – 9:35 a.m. State and Local Tax Update
- Nexus, Nexus, Nexus: Wayfair and its Far-Reaching Impact and Settlements
- Michigan Procedural Update: Appellate Forums
- Litigation Update (Ally, Ford, Old Orchard)
- Legislation and Administrative Guidance
9:35 – 9:50 a.m. Estate Planning After 2017 Tax Reform
- Plan B: Unwinding Trusts and Other Vehicles that are no Longer Advantageous Under the 2017 Act
- Sec. 199 in the Estate Planning Context
9:50 –10:05 a.m. Break
10:05 –10:25 a.m. Criminal Tax Update/Considerations
- Enforcement Priorities from "The Top" Down; Criminal Tax Enforcement in the News
- Is Voluntary Disclosure Still a Viable Strategy?
- Early Warning Signs of Potential Trouble -- Keep a Civil Case Civil
10:25 – 10:45 a.m. Federal Tax Collection Actions
- Federal Collection Update, including the Use of Private Debt Collectors
- Passport Revocations
10:45 – 11:25 a.m. Corporate Tax Developments: Tax Practitioner Concerns
- Formation, M&A and Dissolution of Business Entities
- Operations: Multistate and International
- Current Topic
11:25 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. Ethics Panel: Ethics in Tax Practice
- Ethical Issues for Tax Preparers following the Termination of the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program: Streamline, Quiet, Other?
- Case Studies: Pending and Recent Cases Raise Current Ethical Issues for Tax Practitioners
12:15 - 12:30 p.m. Round-Up/Questions and Answers
12:30 - 1:00 p.m. Presenters available for individual consultation