Varnum LLP has an opening in our Grand Rapids office for a legal assistant to work in our Legal Support Services (LSS) department.
This position is responsible for providing administrative and clerical support to multiple attorneys, paralegals, and staff in a broad range of practice areas including litigation, corporate, real estate, estate planning and labor and employment. This position provides support for both planned and unplanned staff absences and general office overflow on a daily basis.
Services offered by the LSS department include creating and editing complex documents, spreadsheets and presentations, entering attorney time, converting documents from Word to PDF and proofreading and digital transcription.
- 2+ years experience as a legal secretary or experience in a law firm.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Legal Studies or related field preferred.
- Advanced skills in MS Office Products (Outlook, Word, Excel) required.
- Proficiency with Power Point, Adobe, FileSite and or other document management system preferred.
- Familiarity with e-filing.
- Must be able to type 60+ wpm with a high degree of accuracy.
- Willingness to adapt to and learn new technology, software programs, and upgrades.
- Excellent grammar, proofreading, transcription, and organizational skills required.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with attorneys and staff members.
- Ability to communicate and handle stressful situations in a professional, calm, courteous manner.
- Willingness to work in a team-oriented service environment and provide excellent service.
- Ability to problem solve and arrange workload in order of importance to meet deadlines.
- Exhibit a desire to be a team player by demonstrating willingness to undertake additional responsibilities and assist others when requested.
- Availability for overtime when required.
- Availability to travel to other offices as needed.
Please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.