Mergers and Acquisitions
Pick up any newspaper today and you'll see headlines about corporate mergers. What you won't read about, though, are the behind-the-scenes legal activities. The mergers and acquisitions team at Varnum has a wealth of experience in dealing with complex matters like these -- acquisitions and dispositions of business interests, taxable and tax-free transactions, mergers, consolidations, tenders, share exchanges, stock and asset purchases, joint ventures, leveraged buyouts, acquisitive reorganizations, ESOP acquisitions and sale and redemption combinations.
Typically, a Varnum mergers and acquisitions lawyer leads a cross-disciplinary team of attorneys from other relevant practice groups. This gives us the ability to handle issues beyond corporate law -- matters like labor and employee relations, employee benefits, environmental and other regulatory concerns, real estate and intellectual property. We can also bring in lawyers from specific industry groups, such as health care, energy or banking.
By custom-building a team to fit your situation, we can structure and negotiate highly complex transactions with results you'll like.
Our specific services include activities common to many acquisitions:
- Interpreting basic corporate, anti-takeover and control share statutes
- Structuring and negotiating transactions to meet business objectives including tax benefits
- Negotiating and documenting any financing necessary to consummate acquisitions
- Preparing required filings under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvement Act
- Seeking and opposing approval from Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission
- Structuring transactions to meet securities laws and filing appropriate documents
In short, Varnum offers all the legal services you need to accomplish a successful corporate merger, acquisition or related transaction. We provide a comprehensive solution.