Understanding the rules and regulations is key to the success of any environmental issue. At Varnum, we have represented clients on many regulatory compliance issues and cases, including:
- Compliance audits legal counsel, and assistance with ISO 14000 Environmental Management Systems legal issues, registration, and auditing.
- Environmental sustainability legal issues and counseling.
- Representation of municipalities as general and special counsel for environmental regulatory and enforcement matters, including landfill liabilities and industrial pretreatment programs.
- Representation on underground storage tank (UST) regulatory compliance, and removal and remediation of leaking USTs.
- Preparation of technical and support documents for environmental impact reviews required under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Response to client concerns in federal and state agency environmental rule-making.
- Environmental record-keeping, retention/destruction policies, and document management/control.
- Guidance to clients concerning employee and community hazardous chemical “right-to-know” laws, including EPCRA/SARA Title III.
- Counsel regarding compliance with PCB, lead paint and asbestos regulations, and spill reporting, as well as remedial solutions.
- MUSTFA reimbursement denials appealed successfully with UST corrective costs paid to clients from State Fund.
- Advice on air, waste, and water permitting developments for industry and local government, including Underground Injection Control (UIC) permitting.
- Environmental Justice considerations for permitting and development.