Varnum is the leading firm in Michigan for work on independent power generation, including fossil-fueled, alternative, and renewable resource plants. Our work includes site development, local zoning, construction contracting, power purchase agreements, transmission rights of way, interconnection agreements, wheeling contracts, environmental studies and compliance, and regulatory approvals.
We have a depth of experience working with those in the wind energy industry. We have and do represent developers of both on-shore and off-shore, green field and brownfield, community wind and utility scale, first time and experienced projects. The services are varied as required by each individual project. For example, we have:
- successfully worked with a wind energy developer to secure tax incentives from the state for a utility scale wind farm. Our work included advising on available tax incentives, completion of application processes demonstrating unique circumstances, and establishing a tax district (working with three municipalities and the state tax commission). Varnum was able to secure a 100-percent abatement for the maximum term.
- worked to develop countywide zoning rules and regulations for wind farm development.
- worked with clients on the acquisition of leasehold interests, the road crossing permits for gathering lines, wetland determinations and permitting.
- advised and negotiated power purchase agreements and sale of renewable energy credits.
- counseled, guided, and taken clients through the regulatory processes at MDEQ and MPSC, and we have been involved in the financing of such projects.
- negotiated and finalized project financing for independent power projects, including wind.
- assisted in responding to RFPs for wind energy supply.
Our clients include:
- developers of wind power generation projects from Australia, France, Spain and the U.S.
- the largest owner/operator of wind projects in Michigan, in connection with work on Power Purchase Agreements and project development
- the largest developer of renewable resource generation projects (wind, solar, etc.) in the United States
- Michigan municipal utilities and alternative energy suppliers who are customers of wind energy
- the trade association for alternative suppliers and independent power producers