Varnum is the leading firm in Michigan for work on independent power generation, including fossil-fueled, alternative and renewable resource plants. Our work includes site development, local zoning, construction contracting, power purchase agreements, transmission rights of way, interconnection agreements, standby rates, wheeling contracts, environmental studies and compliance, and regulatory approvals.
We have a depth of experience working with clients in the waste-to-energy industry. We have and do represent developers of waste-to-energy incinerators, landfill gas, and agricultural gasification plants. We have also aided clients in developing carbon credit registration and trading programs. The services are varied as required by each individual project.
Waste-to-energy Representative Matters
- Negotiated the power purchase agreement for a waste-to-energy project, obtained agency approval, worked on design-build contract, involved in the issuance of public bonds to finance the project, obtained air permits, and have worked on all attendant environmental issues.
- Assisted on air permitting issues for another waste-to-energy project.
- Strategized with farmers on the highest and best use of synthetic gas production from manure digestion and manure digester operations.
- Worked with clients marketing carbon credits from various biomass substitution projects.
- Negotiation and finalization of project financing.
Our clients include:
- A prominent nation-wide developer of MWS waste-to-energy projects
- A multi-patented designer of innovative gasification processes allowing for small-scale electric energy production
- Agricultural interests looking to solve waste disposal issues creatively