Varnum is the leading firm in Michigan for work on independent power generation, including fossil-fueled, alternative and renewable resource plants. Our work includes site development, local zoning, construction contracting, power purchase agreements, transmission rights of way, interconnection agreements, standby rates, wheeling contracts, environmental studies and compliance, and regulatory approvals.
We have a depth of experience working with entities in the solar energy industry. We have and do represent developers and installers of solar panel projects, as well as developers of concentrated solar power and concentrated solar thermal technology projects, and manufacturers of products in the solar space including electrical products and solar concentrators. We have also aided clients in developing LEED certified installations of solar generating equipment. For example, we have:
- Worked with a contractor on a 62 Mw project for a solar array with 82,000 solar panels.
- Worked with a client on a public school application of solar technology for education and training purposes.
- Worked to develop sales and warranty documents for a client on the sale of rooftop and carport mounted solar products
- Strategized with a manufacturer of solar concentration technology on equity financing and marketing of its product line.
- Counseled with a client on expanding its opportunities in the solar equipment space.
- Identified alternative energy tax credits for a client utilizing existing and new manufacturing equipment for solar applications
- Researched for a client whether solar equipment assembly in the workshop needed to be inspected and approved by the building inspector where the equipment was ultimately being installed
- Worked with a client on the marketing of carbon credits from alternative energy projects.
- Worked with a client on the grant process for solar installations.
- Counseled with various clients on bidding on and obtaining power purchase agreements for the sale of electricity from alternative energy projects.
- Provided guidance on the local tax credits and incentives for alternative energy producers
Our clients include:
- A manufacturer of parabolic solar equipment for solar thermal and concentrated solar energy production
- A designer and manufacturer of solar panel racking equipment and solar carports
- Roofing company installer of rooftop mounted solar panels
- Manufacturer of electrical control boxes and related items for the solar industry
- A company involved in the sale and design of commercial and residential solar units, including solar panel and solar thermal applications
- A metal stamping company making framing and fixtures for solar applications