Advanced Energy Storage (AES) - Lithium Ion
Varnum is the leading firm in Michigan for work on private sector energy issues, including independent power generation, including fossil-fueled, alternative and renewable resource plants. Our work includes site development, local zoning, construction contracting, power purchase agreements, transmission rights of way, interconnection agreements, standby rates, wheeling contracts, environmental studies and compliance, and regulatory approvals.
Lithium Ion Battery Industry in Michigan
We have now developed a depth of experience working with companies in the advanced energy storage industry. Michigan has been the recipient of over $3 billion in federal grants for the research, development, and manufacture of lithium ion batteries for automotive, electronic, alternative, and other applications. Varnum has followed this effort to develop the advanced energy storage industry and has worked to educate itself and others. The legal skills of a full service law firm are directly applicable and useful to this new industry: corporate law, employment law, real estate law, immigration law, and regulatory law are all areas of experience within the firm and available to the advanced energy storage industry. In addition, our knowledge of energy issues developed over thirty years of experience is directly applicable to this industry.
Our battery law attorneys not only know the law, we have a strong interest and involvement in the lithium ion battery industry in Michigan. In preparing to fully serve this sector of the alternative energy industry we have:
- Met with and discussed relevant issues with a local company making battery packs for the medical instrument industry
- Assembled a panel discussion on the lithium ion battery manufacturing process and chemistry, and the environmental issues related thereto
- Worked with economic development leaders in the region on the supply chain needs for this industry needs for the AES industry
- Met with environmental consultants working on the air permits and other environmental requirements for advanced energy storage facilities
- Worked with local colleges and universities on creating and staffing a research and development curriculum for lithium ion batteries
- Organized a project to bring electric vehicle charging stations to the region to establish the infrastructure for battery operated automobiles
- Prepared an educational program for the local Air and Waste Management Association on advanced energy storage development and production
- Reviewed the construction of a new lithium ion battery factory
- Interface with Argonne National Lab on battery and electric vehicle issues
- Published a newsletter and maintain a blog on battery law issues