Cell Towers & Telecommunications
Why hire a cell tower attorney?
The short answer is to "level the playing field" - - Cell companies negotiate tower leases every day. Property owners need someone equally experienced on their side. Otherwise they leave money (sometimes lots of money) on the table and get very poor terms for the entire 30 to 50 year life of a lease.
Here are few examples of how a cell tower attorney can help:
- Increase the Rent: The attorney can help the property owner get rent from the second, third, etc. provider to put antennas on the tower - - which can double or triple the initial rent!
- Tower Built as Planned: The attorney can make sure the lease requires the tower to be built according to the plans the property owner has approved, and allows changes only with the owner's approval. By contrast, leases from providers typically state that plans are only "illustrative" and the company can make any changes it wants.
- Preserve Property Rights: Leases often try to prevent a property owner from developing its land near the tower, expanding nearby buildings, etc. An attorney can help preserve the owner's right to develop and expand the use of its property and buildings.
- If The Tower Falls: With an attorney, the lease will better protect the property owner if the tower falls, someone is hurt or things go wrong. Examples include insurance clauses geared to providing meaningful protection for the full term of a 50 year lease, protections in case the tenant goes bankrupt, default and eviction clauses, etc. Always remember - - the property owner's name on the deed if things go wrong.
- Antennas on Buildings: Leases for antennas on buildings or other structures are much more complicated, so that the principal use of the building is not interfered with, its expansion limited or maintenance or others costs increased. This is particularly true for antennas on public infrastructure sites, such as water towers or police radio towers. A cell tower attorney with experience in such matters can help make sure the property owner is appropriately protected.
Model Leases Available
We have available for purchase model cell tower and WiMAX leases which have been drafted from the property owner's perspective and assist property owners (including public entities) and their attorneys. These are generalized versions of leases which have actually been signed and negotiated in recent years and they contain provisions which can effectively double or triple the rent the property owner receives. Click here for more information about how to order a model cell tower lease.