Native American Organization & Governance
Varnum offers legal representation and services related to fundamental tribal organization and governance issues.
We have experience and qualifications to serve your tribal entity in the following areas:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution within tribal structures/instrumentalities and with outside resolution services.
- Cross-deputization and cooperative law enforcement agreements between tribes and local, state and Federal agencies.
- General counsel to tribal agencies and instrumentalities governing housing, education, health services, environmental matters, substance abuse, strategic planning, land development and community development.
- Human resources planning and management.
- Jurisdictional issues.
- Labor and employment issues in Indian Country.
- Litigation and counseling related to sovereignty, jurisdiction, zoning, tax, regulatory authority and other issues related to indigenous integrity and primacy.
- Lobbying and public relations at the local, state and Federal level.
- Local cooperation agreements and other government-to-government agreements between tribes and local governments regarding taxation, zoning, utilities, public services and similar matters.
- Establishing and enforcing repatriation rights.
- Sovereignty issues.
- Tax law matters related to jurisdiction and sovereignty and state/local tax negotiations.
- Protecting tribal trademarks, logos, designs, copyrights and other intellectual property.
- Establishing and enforcing treaty rights.
- Tribal constitutions, bylaws, ordinances, regulations and policies.
- Tribal courts structure, procedures and implementation.