Native American Housing
Varnum counsels tribal entities and organizations in the many important areas related to housing.
We are experienced and prepared to assist your tribal housing entity in the following areas:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution within tribal housing structures/instrumentalities and with outside resolution services.
- Native American bank organization, financing and operations.
- Bond financing for tribal entities, agencies and instrumentalities.
- Cross-deputization and cooperative law enforcement agreements between tribal housing authorities and local, state and Federal agencies.
- Endangered Species Act application and interpretation for housing developments in Indian Country.
- Environmental assessments and environmental issues for tribal housing projects.
- General counsel to tribal housing agencies and instrumentalities.
- Grievance policies and procedures.
- General housing policies and procedures.
- HUD financing and program issues, including maximizing program funds, preparing for and responding to audits and defending against funding freezes and other disciplinary actions.
- Human resources planning, advice and management.
- Labor and employment issues in Indian Country.
- Land to trust applications.
- Leasing and financing issues in Indian Country.
- Litigation and resolution of housing, zoning, tax, regulatory authority and other issues related to housing development and management.
- Lobbying and public relations at the local, state and Federal level.
- Local cooperation agreements and other government-to-government agreements between tribes and local governments regarding taxation, zoning, utilities, public services and similar matters.
- Native American Housing and Self-Determination Act programs, implementation, interpretation and issues.
- Real estate issues in Indian Country.
- Tax law matters related to housing and land development.