Native American Business & Development
Varnum counsels tribal entities and organizations issues related to business and development.
We are qualified and prepared to serve you in the following areas:
- Native American bank organization, financing and operations.
- Bond financing for tribal entities, agencies and instrumentalities.
- Business incubators, start-ups and development.
- Cross-deputization and cooperative law enforcement agreements between tribes and local, state and Federal agencies.
- Estate planning, family law and asset protection representation with consideration for per capita payments, enrollment issues, ICWA issues, tribal law, sovereignty and other Native American issues.
- Gaming matters , including RFPs and selection of gaming partners, joint venture, co-development and management agreements with gaming partners, NIGC approvals and matters, State compacts, contractor and vendor arrangements, local revenue-sharing arrangements, and casino-financing agreements and arrangements, including private placements, bond financings and public offerings.
- Human resources planning and management.
- Joint ventures with non-Indian business partners and related MBE planning.
- Labor and employment issues in Indian Country.
- Litigation and advice regarding sovereignty, jurisdiction, zoning, tax, regulatory authority and other issues related to indigenous integrity and primacy.
- Lobbying and public relations at the local, state and Federal level.
- Mining and mineral development and excavation in Indian Country.
- Oil and gas exploration, development and distribution in Indian Country.
- Real estate issues in Indian Country.
- Risk analysis and management.
- Tax law matters related to jurisdiction and sovereignty and state/local tax negotiations.
- Protecting tribal trademarks, logos, designs, copyrights and other intellectual property.
- Establishing and enforcing treaty rights.
- Development and protection of water resources and riparian rights.