Steven T. Buquicchio Partner
Creditors' Rights, Credit Union & Finance Experience
Steve is a trusted business lawyer, advisor and strategist who provides counsel and advice to individuals and companies on business and operational issues. He also serves as outside general counsel to a variety of businesses and organizations with an emphasis in credit union, financial services and business representations. Steve routinely represents credit unions, agri-finance/farm credit institutions, banks, finance companies, healthcare organizations, businesses, and receivers in commercial disputes, breach of contract actions, note defaults, UCC disputes, claim and delivery/replevin actions, loan documentation and workouts, regulatory issues, and contract negotiation. A board certified creditors' rights attorney, Steve also serves as national creditors' rights counsel to companies doing business throughout the United States and abroad.
Steve's litigation practice is focused primarily on creditors' rights and business litigation including federal and state receiverships, fraud litigation, loan workouts, collections and foreclosures, commercial litigation, consumer protection litigation. Steve also has extensive experience in asset tracing and recovery, judgment enforcement, and judicial liquidations.
- An AV® Preeminent™ rated attorney, the highest peer ranking given by Martindale-Hubbell
- Board certified in creditors' rights law by the American Board of Certification (Commercial Law League of America and the American Bankruptcy Institute)
- Selected by Michigan Lawyers Weekly as an "Up & Coming" Leader in Law. The Leaders in Law designation salutes attorneys who have distinguished themselves in the Michigan bench and bar early in their careers.
- Named a "Business Leader Under 40 Honoree" by the Western Michigan Business Review
- Named a "40 under 40" top business leader by the Grand Rapids Business Journal
- Immediate past chair and member of the Executive Committee of the Grand Rapids Bar Association Section on Litigation
- Board of Editors for the Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Served on the Board of Directors for the American Board of Certification, where he is also a member of the Standards Committee
- Member of the American Bar Association Advisory Panel
Steven writes and speaks frequently on creditors' rights law and finance matters, is frequently sought for speaking engagements, and by print and electronic media sources for commentary and insight on these subjects.
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for Northern District of Ohio
- United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- American Red Cross, former Board member
- Past member of the Board of Directors for the Michigan Chapter of the March of Dimes, Grand Rapids Division
- Serves as a youth coach for the YMCA and Thornapple Valley Baseball League
Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School
City University of New York, Queens College
New York, New York
B.A., Political Science, 1993
- Serve as outside general counsel to credit union clients in a variety of representations including mergers, contract review and negotiation, contract disputes, regulatory actions and approvals, due diligence, CUSO creation and development, operational matters, strategic planning, field of membership expansion, litigation, claim and delivery, foreclosure and collection.
- Represent credit unions of all sizes in connection with mergers including the lead representation of a multi-billion dollar in assets credit union during the due diligence process that would have been the largest credit union merger in history.
- Represent credit union in a successful statewide field of membership expansion.
- Represent international furniture maker in the design, implementation and maintenance of credit procedures and training which resulted in reducing yearly bad debt write offs of approximately half a million dollars to virtually zero for five consecutive years and counting.
- Represent one of the country's largest lenders to the agricultural industry in multi-million dollar credit facilities, as well as general representation in a variety of matters including litigation and regulatory matters.
- Serve as regional legal counsel to one of the country's largest farm equipment financing companies in connection with loan defaults and workouts.