Nancy L. Farnam Partner
Employee Benefits Experience
Nancy represents a wide range of employers in the design, documentation, administration and taxation of welfare benefit plans, qualified retirement plans and non-qualified deferred compensation plans. Nancy regularly:
- Counsels plan sponsors on various welfare plans, including self insured and insured health and medical plans, cafeteria plans, health reimbursement arrangements, and health savings accounts.
- Assists plan sponsors with compliance under Affordable Care Act, COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA, USERRA and ADEA.
- Advises third party administrators of medical and cafeteria plans on numerous items affecting their clients.
- Represents clients in matters involving plan design, compliance, taxation, nondiscrimination testing, employee communications and fiduciary responsibility.
- Drafts plan documents and administrative forms and policies and assists sponsors and fiduciaries in administering benefits plans consistently with rapidly changing legal requirements.
- Provides training to clients' staff on various topics, including HIPAA compliance.
- Represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation under voluntary compliance programs, audits and other proceedings.
- Assists clients with nonqualified deferred compensation plan matters, including structuring nonqualified plan arrangements, drafting plan documents and advising on compliance issues raised by Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Presents to employer groups, translating the technical employee benefit laws into practical, easy to understand terms. In 2010 and 2011 she gave numerous presentations on Affordable Care Act, COBRA and HIPAA to a variety of audiences, including firm clients, Michigan Manufacturers Association, Michigan Chamber of Commerce and various employer groups and associations.
- She has been an instructor of a fringe benefits course at Walsh College
- Contributor to the employee benefits chapter of Employment Law in Michigan, An Employer's Guide, published by The Institute of Continuing Legal Education
Nancy has been a speaker at various seminars including Lorman Education Services, the State Bar of Michigan, Oakland County Bar Association, National Association of College and University Attorneys conference, and the Michigan Chamber of Commerce.
Recognition & Rankings
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating, AV® Preeminent™
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2013
- Member and former trustee of St. Paul's United Methodist Church
Wayne State University Law School
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan
B.A., Social Work, 1983