Mark E. Hills Partner
Mark is a member of the firm's litigation practice, and Chair of the Family Law Group, with more than 20 years' experience in federal and state court jury and non-jury trials, international, federal and state-level arbitrations, and facilitative mediations. Mark was invited to join the Litigation Counsel of America Society in 2011, an honor extended to less than 1 percent of all attorneys in America.
Mark is a knowledgeable and effective trial attorney for national, state and community banks, private equity holders, and receivers throughout Michigan, and has successfully enforced loan portfolios valued over $100 million in commercial disputes, breach of contract actions, note defaults, guaranty defaults, UCC disputes and loan documentation and workouts.
Property owner associations, banks, title companies, real estate brokers, and individual property owners rely on Mark to determine and protect their interests in ownership, title easement, boundary, and riparian rights disputes. His experience ensures that the contractual rights of project owners, contractors and sub-contractors are protected in payment and design/construction disputes.
Mark is the Team Leader for Varnum's Family Law Practice. He has an extensive background in vigorously advocating for his clients' interests in divorce, post-judgment custody and parenting time modifications, judgment enforcement, and grand-parenting time disputes. He also has significant experience in high net-worth divorce cases.
- State Bar of Michigan: Litigation Section; Real Property Section; Family Law Section and American Indian Law Section
- Wisconsin Bar Association: Litigation Section
- Grand Rapids Bar Association: Litigation Section; Real Property Section; Jury Representation Committee
- Ottawa County Bar Association
- Associated Builders and Contractors (Affiliate Member)
- State Certified Civil Mediator
Admitted to Practice
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- All Michigan State Courts
- All Wisconsin State Courts
- City of Grand Haven, Michigan (Construction Board of Appeals, 2004 - 2009; Planning Commission, 2010 - present)
- Rotary Club of Grand Haven (Board of Directors, 2011- present)
- Lakeshore Ethnic Diversity Alliance, Migrant Reading Program
University of Toledo College of Law
J.D., May 1992
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan
B.A., Political Science, April 1989
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating, BV® Distinguished™
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America