Lawrence J. Murphy Partner
Employment Litigation Experience
Larry is an experienced trial attorney concentrating on the defense of individuals and organizations in employment litigation, including matters involving discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, and employment contracts. He has extensive experience advising employers on executive employment contracts, personnel policies and procedures, discipline issues, corporate downsizing, trade secret and non-compete agreements, and drug and alcohol testing.
Larry is licensed to practice law in the states of Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin.
- Grand Rapids Community College Foundation Board, Chair
- Dégagé Ministries, Board of Directors
- Talent 2025 Board of Directors, Chair - Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- DBusiness© magazine, Top Lawyer, 2017
- American College of Labor & Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment, 2013
- Michigan Super Lawyers® since 2006
- Best Lawyers in America® since 2005
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a Leader in the field of Labor & Employment since 2005
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Illinois Bar Association
- Indiana Bar Association
- Wisconsin Bar Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
Wayne State University Law School
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Representing large retailing chain in workforce reduction and right-sizing measures in multi-state region, including assisting with analysis and implementation of the reduction-in-force programs and with particular attention to ensure there is no disparate impact to women, minorities and other workers with protected status.
- Secured a 7-figure resolution following aggressive litigation on behalf of a national trucking company against former employees who breached their fiduciary duties by removing confidential information and using it in their new employment with a competitor.