Eric M. Nemeth Partner
Tax and Financial Controversy Experience
Eric is a partner and leads the firm's Tax Team. He concentrates on tax and financial controversy (IRS and various states) including examinations, appellate conferences, criminal investigations, witness representation and civil and criminal tax litigation. He works with government regulatory and general tax matters. Eric has served as Senior Trial Attorney for the District Counsel of the Internal Revenue Service and as Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Department of Justice. He is a frequent speaker on tax enforcement, and has served as an expert witness and binding arbitrator.
- Represented international commodities trader in multi-agency federal investigation including IRS, EPA and Homeland Security.
- Successfully spearheaded forensic investigation involving multiple countries, resulting in a non-prosecution determination by the Department of Justice.
- Represented prominent entertainer in IRS criminal investigation that resulted in the Department of Justice declining prosecution.
- Successfully prevailed in a sentencing phase wherein the client avoided prison and was able to operate and preserve his business.
- Represented manufacturing company in IRS civil examination and concluded the examination without any additional tax due.
- Negotiated an Offer in Compromise for client fully resolving outstanding tax liabilities for less than 10 percent saving the client over one million dollars.
- American Bar Association: Taxation Section; Sports Law Section
- Detroit Veterans Bar Association, vice president, 2017
- Federal Bar Association: Taxation Section, past chair, 1996 - 2000
- Michigan State University College of Law, Tax Practice and Procedure, adjunct professor
- State Bar of Michigan: Taxation Section; Tax Practice and Procedure Section, past chair
- Best Lawyers in America® since 2012
- DBusiness© magazine, Top Lawyers since 2011
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly©, Leaders in the Law, 2015
- Michigan Super Lawyers® since 2010
- Michigan Super Lawyers® Top 100, 2012
- Michigan Super Lawyers®, Top 50 Consumer Super Lawyers, 2017
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Board of Trustees
- Michigan State University College of Law Low-Income Tax Payer Clinic, Board member
- University of Michigan, Victors for Michigan Campaign Steering Committee, Dearborn
Wayne State University
LL.M., Taxation, 1997
Michigan State University College of Law
J.D., cum laude, 1989
University of Michigan
B.A., Economics, Political Science, 1985