Eric J. Schneidewind Of Counsel
Energy and Telecommunications Experience
Former co-chair of Varnum's Energy and Telecommunications Practice Group, Eric's legal practice focuses on electrical retail wheeling, non-utility electric power marketing, cogeneration projects, waste to energy, utility scale natural gas, coal and wind generating plants. His clients include large government and private development entities and generation hosts. He assists in the purchase of natural gas, and with environmental permitting as well as the negotiation of fuel, equipment, lease and power purchase agreements relating to electric generation projects. On behalf of his clients, Eric secured the first licenses to market electricity in the Consumers Energy and Detroit Edison service territories.
Eric has served the national Board of Directors for AARP for several year and currently serves as President. The 22-member board is the governing body of AARP and approves all policies, programs, activities, and services for the AARP's 40 million members. Eric is a former AARP Michigan president (2005 - 2011) and has devoted many years to public service. He was chairman of the Michigan Public Service Commission for six years and also worked for the state Housing Authority, Securities Bureau and Insurance Bureau. Eric has served on the boards of Energy Michigan and the Great Lakes Renewable Energy Association.
Eric has extensive service in state government culminating with a six-year term as Commissioner, then Chairman, of the Michigan Public Service Commission from 1979-1985. He drafted and obtained passage of PA81 1987 and was instrumental in the passage of Electric Restructuring Act (PA 141 2000). For many years, Eric served as counsel to Energy Michigan, the trade group of Michigan businesses and end users advocating competition in the electric sector.
- Electric Power Supply Association
- State Bar of Michigan: Administrative Law Section
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Best Lawyers in America® since 2003
- Western Michigan Business Review, one of six " Thought Leaders in Law"
- American Lawyer Media (ALM), Top Rated Lawyer for Energy, Environmental and Natural Resources, 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
University of Michigan Law School
Ann Arbor, Michigan
University of California
- Michigan Public Service Commission (Chairman and Commissioner, Director of Policy)
- Michigan Insurance Bureau (Deputy Director for Policy and Consumer Protection)
- Michigan State Housing Development Authority (Real Estate Attorney)
- Securities Enforcement and Investigative Work and Administration of Michigan
- AARP (National Board, 2012 - Present. Currently serving as President.)
- AARP (State President, 2006 - 2012)
- Loaves and Fishes Homeless Shelter (Volunteer)