Bonnie Y. Sawusch Partner
Catastrophic Injury Experience
Bonnie has 20 years of experience representing people and families whose lives have been affected by catastrophic personal injury and death. She has been involved in investigating, litigating and resolving a wide variety of cases, including trucking and automobile collisions, airplane disasters, fires and explosions, burn injuries and electrocutions. Bonnie represents clients throughout Michigan and other states.
Bonnie's legal practice is strongly influenced by her previous 15-year career as a critical care nurse in a large acute care hospital. She holds a B.S. in Nursing and continues to maintain her license to practice as a registered nurse.
In addition to her passion for representing people and families whose lives have been touched by tragedy, Bonnie is actively involved in educational programs for medical and legal professionals as a frequent lecturer and writer.
- State Bar of Michigan (Litigation Section Council Chair, 2009 – 2010)
- State Bar of Florida
- American Bar Association
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- American Burn Association - Burn Prevention Committee (current), Ethics Committee (2006 – 2009)
- State Bar of Michigan Litigation Section Member since 2001 (Chair, 2008 – present)
- Michigan Association of Justice
- Interstate Trucking Litigation Group
- Past Member Disability Resource Center of Southwestern Michigan
- Past Member Brain Injury Association of Michigan
- Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors
Publications and Presentations
- "Trial Techniques for Proving Damages in Injury and Death Cases," ICLE "Michigan Law of Damages and Other Remedies" (3d ed).
- Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, Kalamazoo, 2014, 2016, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America® since 2010
- Michigan Super Lawyers® since 2006
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- University of Michigan Pam Pucci Service Award, 2016
University of Detroit School of Law
J.D. Magna Cum Laude, 1991
Eastern Michigan University
B.S.N, high honors, 1987
Mercy School of Nursing
Diploma RN, high honors, 1978